The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Potentiometer alteration
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 6:53 am    

Can this Clarostat AB Type J pot be fitted with an extended shaft suitable for a Goodrich pedal?

2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 7:05 am    

Is this the correct volume pedal audio taper? I've seen "Type J" that were not the correct audio taper.

Looks to me that a shaft extension would have to be welded on.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 7:42 am    

If the wiper is compatible with the long shaft wiper, it might work. I have swapped the parts around in CTS pots to get the combination I need.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 8:22 am    

That's a "locking bushing" pot, as evidenced by the slits in the bushing. You'd have to remove (saw) a good portion of that bushing off in order to have enough shaft for any standard coupler to work. Yes, you could also swap the shaft with a longer one from another pot, but it's important to remember that the shaft has two sets of contact points. The first being the carbon wiper cage, and the second being the internal wipers, which wear down just like the outer carbon one. In other words, you'd be best to use a new shaft and wiper assembly, instead of an old one (which has already seen a lot of use).

A lot of effort, though, as there are some alternate pots available, and they purportedly function well and have excellent longevity.

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 10:23 am     Potentiometer alteration

Thanks Jack, Bill and Donny,
I figured it would be a long shot and not worth pursuing when correct pots are available - but I had to check. All the specs seemed appropriate (500K) but I didn’t think to check shaft length.
Peter
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more