The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strymon rotary pedal
Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2022 11:52 am    

Anyone using the strymon rotary what are the best settings you use thank you iam interested in getting one

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2022 1:39 pm    

I use the Strymon Lex. It works well. My only complaint is that there's no brake switch. You have to hold down the fast/slow button. Impossible when playing pedal steel. It's possible, according to the manual, to use the heel down position of an expression pedal to brake. Do I really want another pedal? Oh Well

As for settings, I use the close mic because I'm running stereo from there down the effects chain (the Lex input is mono). Other than that, I'm a knob twister. My most recent project was ambient and I used it on slow for one of the four tracks. Here's a snapshot of current settings:

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2022 8:29 pm    

b0b you can likely make a small switchbox to mimic an expression pedal at minimum, see this link for an example of this. I used a switch, resistors, and a capacitor to simulate the 2 extreme positions of a expression pedal, you could do something similar.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/source-audio-gemini-chorus-fast-slow-switch.2296100/

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2022 9:27 pm    

Scott Swartz wrote:
b0b you can likely make a small switchbox to mimic an expression pedal at minimum, see this link for an example of this. I used a switch, resistors, and a capacitor to simulate the 2 extreme positions of a expression pedal, you could do something similar.

I expect that would disable the fast/slow switch, which I use (by hand) all the time. The ramp up/ramp down effect is part of the Leslie sound. Releasing the brake should ramp up to slow or fast, depending on the switch.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 11:58 am    

I broke down and bought a Moog EP3 expression pedal and it works as suspected with the Stryman LEX.
It controls the speed gradually and stops to a brake stop in the off position.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 1:19 pm    

Ken Metcalf wrote:
I broke down and bought a Moog EP3 expression pedal and it works as suspected with the Stryman LEX.
It controls the speed gradually and stops to a brake stop in the off position.

Encouraged by your report, I tried an On-Stage expression pedal. No dice. It controlled the speed, but it didn't brake all the way. Then I tried the Roland EV-5, considered to be a defective design by many because it cuts output volume on Roland synths. Oh Well Lo and behold, the EV-5 brakes in the heel position. It works! Smile

The fast/slow button overrides the expression pedal for the preset speed, but as soon as you touch the pedal again it adjusts smoothly, and it slows down like a Leslie when you brake. Quite acceptable! Mr. Green Thanks, Ken.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 3:11 pm    

I don’t known if this is relevant or not , but I made a momentary hand switch to get rid of a foot switch to turn on/off the Leslie effect on all of the different organ sounds on
an Alexis Midiverb4… Shocked