The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nux Atlantic White Noise
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 4:00 am    

In doing some fine tuning of my dobro pedal board this morning, I discovered that the Nux Atlantic pedal is creating a lot of white noise when either the reverb or the delay is engaged. I threw Zoom Ms50 in its place just to check, and indeed the noise did not appear with the Zoom reverb and delay engaged.

Anyone else experience this? Could it be that it doesn't like my pedal board power supply (Voodoo Labs Pedal Power X4)? The Atlantic does not take battery, so it needs a 9V supply.

Thoughts?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 4:46 am    

Connect only the Atlantic to the power supply and see if you have noise. Overloaded power supply can cause problems. Power requirements were not listed but I would use a 500ma power supply.

The Atlantic has iffy jacks. I had one, liked it but was sold downsizing, and only certain 1/4" plugs seemed to "fit" the Atlantic jacks. So try different cables, too.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 5:07 am    

I don't have this problem. However I do have a quirk that seems power-related. In the year or so that I've been using the Nux, three times I have plugged in the pedalboard to find no audio output. It has traced to the Nux and the remedy has been to unplug the Nux from the power daisy-chain and reconnect it . After 'rebooting', it has been fine. So I've been somewhat wary about its relationship to power supplies. But noise has not been an issue.
According to a third party site, the Nux draws 120mA .

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 5:23 am    

Well, this might be relevant, I too just had a brief interlude where the Atlantic wouldn't pass any signal with Reverb or Delay engaged(?!?!?). After trying it with a one spot in a different rig (tele into Deluxe Reverb) where it worked fine (but with the noise) I "rebooted" it in the pedal board with the Voodoo lab supply, and it worked again.

And then I figured out the noise issue. I had the +4db switch thrown on the back panel of the pedal. Took that off and the white noise went away.

I'm gonna leave the Nux on the pedal board, but I'll be packing a spare Zoom Ms50G just for security.

Thanks for the feedback Jack and Jon!

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 7:54 am    

I just re-did my two pedal boards after an exhausting search for a Leslie simulator. I had been running a One Spot 9v to all my effects on a daisy chain.
After getting new patch cords and running the correct voltage with a Truetone pro power supply. It seems everything works and sounds better.
Trying to find a Leslie to go with the B9 Organ effect I ended up with a Stryman LEX and I like it better without the Harmonix B9

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 8:40 am    

FWIW, when running my NUX equipped board off of a single, daisy chained One Spot I was also perplexed by a fair amount of white noise.

Taking the NUX off the chain and dedicating a 2nd One Spot to that pedal cured the issue.

Upgraded the pedal board to a single MXR power brick was my solution.

Clean as a whistle.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 12:30 pm     Nux

Just as a note. I own a couple of the Nux Atlantic pedals
and I use One spot power supplies to power them.

I found out by trial and error that you cant place the One spot power transformer next to any other power supply on a strip as they create noise when they are next to each other.

I use an 8 outlet surge protection / power strip and I place the One spot on one end of the strip and the Telonics volume pedal supply on the other end. That eliminated my noise issue.

Ray D

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 6:06 pm    

Just to reiterate, and only my situation: when I killed the 4db boost on the back panel of the Nux Atlantic, the white noise went away: did not seem to be a power supply issue in my case.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 4:59 am    

Well- it may not matter BUT I only use WALWARTS that supply 9VDC/1 AMP now , I've run into POWER issues with multiple pedals with LESSOR DC supplies.

I've not experienced any WHITE NOISE with the NUX Atlantic for the entire time I've used it which is well over 2 years

The supposed power requirement ALONE is something like 150 ma, which I think the spec for this pedal is really at the lo end.

and never forget...

ALL 9 VDC SUPPLIES ARE NOT EQUAL ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website