The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recovering loafer pad
Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 1:16 pm    

Time has come to recover my loafer pad. John Widgren just about kicked me out of his house when I showed up with a rip in it covered with duct tape.

My understanding is that it's tolex, but some people use leather? I sweat a lot so something less sticky would be great. Can anyone advise on what they've used and where to get it?

This is for an Emmons Legrande II SD-10. It looks like I just unscrew it from underneath the guitar, but please tell me if I'm missing something.

I should add, I'd be happy to buy one if anyone is selling.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 5:36 pm    

Hello Chris, I contacted forum member Leigh Pollari and she made a new pad for me…wooden base, padding & covering with “Sho~Bud” embroidered on it. I’m sure she could do other names, logos and sizes as well. I sent her the measurements…length, width & thickness and the new one was an exact fit.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 9:11 pm    

Leather is the way to go. Softer, less sweaty, classier looking and not that much more money. A ten minute job with a stapler if the foam is intact.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 1:59 am    

I’ve seen pad coverings folded over and secured on the ends, similar to a wrapped package and there’s nothing wrong with that style. However, Leigh folds and staples her pads like a professional upholsterer, no visual folds or wrinkles.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 5:04 am    

Thanks Jerry that looks super sharp!

Jerry Van Hoose wrote:
Hello Chris, I contacted forum member Leigh Pollari and she made a new pad for me…wooden base, padding & covering with “Sho~Bud” embroidered on it. I’m sure she could do other names, logos and sizes as well. I sent her the measurements…length, width & thickness and the new one was an exact fit.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 5:06 am    

Thanks Per, that’s what I was thinking. Can probably get something on eBay.

Per Berner wrote:
Leather is the way to go. Softer, less sweaty, classier looking and not that much more money. A ten minute job with a stapler if the foam is intact.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 6:15 am    

...perhaps better to visit a well-stocked craft shop, to be able to hold the piece you are about to buy in your hand. Hard to judge stiffness and feel from a picture.

For my Zum, I found a piece of ultra-soft, thin calf leather that made a big improvement. The piece was big enough to cover my steel seat as well, it cost me the equivalent of 60 dollars, but that was ten years ago. Worth every penny.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 3:30 pm    

I have made pads for my guitars. I have found a use for that No Used section of the pad, Beside the Key Head or keyless tuner has a lot of possibilities. Makes a nice place place to lay Bar, Picks and and Tuning Winches. A Drink Holder or Ash Tray has possibilities on a Single Neck built on a Double body too.

These pads have a base of 3/4" X 1 1/4" Poplar board, It has a bracket that holds a tuner on the changer end also.
Pads actually hand sewed down the back and has Industrial Velcro to attach to guitars.
Pad has to be removed and placed in Pedal bar/Leg section of the case.

The MSA pad actually held my Steel Bar and Plastic Do-Bro Bar end to end, Lay 1 bar down pick up the other.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 11:34 am     Pad cover

I go to Hobby Lobby. Lots to pick from. I have Faux Alligator on my ST-10.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 4:48 pm    

Perfect round corners per JVH's Sho-Bud are a labor of love. Kudos to Leigh. Great looking pads.

I had the task of building the last few Derby pads for Charlie Stepp. If you look at Jerry's and any original Derbys, you'll see there are no folded over or hospital corners on those as I'm sure Jerry will confirm.

There's a trick to doing pads that look professional. It's labor intensive, involves a certain method and lots and lots of stapling, staple pulling, re-stapling and trimming to make a good tight pad that fits the deck snugly as Charlie showed me.

Charlie used vinyl, not Tolex....too rough on the skin. I might still have some of the 1/4 in. boards, foam and vinyl...I'm out of the building business though.

Nothing says you have to go to all that trouble though. Long as it serves the purpose.

If you are going to use leather, I suggest garment leather...it's softest and easiest to form for a good tight fit.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 7:14 pm    

I can certainly attest to the excellent quality of Charlie’s, then Jerry O’s pads on all SD-10 Derby Steels. There weren’t any visible folds, looked “form fitted”. Every detail matters.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2022 1:36 pm    

In the end i went with marine vinyl from JoAnn Fabrics, $12.50 for half a yard. My corners are far from perfect but pretty happy with how it turned out. Decided to try something other than black:

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2022 8:09 pm    

Wrist rest::::: the rest is flat 3/8 thick maple covered with firm thin foam. Covered in black tolex. No puffy pad for me. I like too put fine China on my pad for dinner.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 9:06 am    

Chris Tarrow wrote:
.....pretty happy with how it turned out. Decided to try something other than black:

...so is that brown or burgundy? If you're happy, that's all that matters. That should hold up for a long, long time and maybe no more criticism from JW!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 10:07 am     Mine is now leather

Mine is now leather. I replaced the imitation leather with the real thing.
I also padded it higher to help support my right hand.
Over time it has stretched a little and developed some wrinkles, but it feels great. Very Happy

I sure do like the Bobby has added a place for the picks, bar and tuning wrench.
Think I may do something like that in the future. Maybe the electronic tuner also?
Click the link to see the steel when it was new in 2006. I keep this one in Saigon.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 17 Aug 2022 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 10:08 am    

that looks great and I want that guitar!!!

Johnie King wrote:
Wrist rest::::: the rest is flat 3/8 thick maple covered with firm thin foam. Covered in black tolex. No puffy pad for me. I like too put fine China on my pad for dinner.