The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter TB 202 vs RM Steelaire
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 1:09 pm    

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a big difference between the Tone Block 202 and Rackmount Steelaire. I currently have a 202 that I pug into my various speaker cabs and like it pretty well, but I wanted to know if anyone feels I would have an advantage by upgrading to a rackmount steelaire to use in the same application over the 202. Has anyone had both and can you speak of the pros and cons.

Thanks,
CS

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 11:56 am    

Cody I owned both Amps, I liked the Steelaire Rack Mount and eventually purchased a second amp. However, I always felt like something was missing, the Steelaire had a sterile tone. I paired it with various stomp pedals and kept searching for the for tone.
I decided on trying the TB202 after having read many reviews...I purchased the TB202 and after trying it I sold the Steelaires and my NV400...End of story!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 2:10 pm    

I had a Steelaire rack that I paired with an Eminence EPS-15C and sounded good. I decided to sell the rack and separate speaker and bought a Steelaire amp. I didn't care for the Steelaire combo amp, too many highs with the stock speaker so it was sold.
I had the opportunity to try a Travis Toy 12 combo and bingo there was the sound I was looking for, since the 70's when I had a Twin Reverb with JBL's. I bought the Travis Toy 12 combo.

Comparing the three, the rack wasn't bad, but not great. The Combo was too many highs. The TT12 with the TB202 I found the sound I had lost.

I wouldn't consider the rackmount an "upgrade". I saw a picture of Travis Toy's stage setup and he had two TB202's in a custom rackmount shelf and speaker cabs separate behind him.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 2:16 pm    

"...I wanted to know if anyone feels I would have an advantage by upgrading to a rackmount steelaire..."

Cody - I own both. I personally feel that the "upgrade" from the 202 to the Steelaire as you stated is just the opposite. I prefer the 202 for its tone and versatility. I can get pretty much any tone out of it I want. I gigged through my silverface Fender Twin Reverb more than any amp I've owned. I can EQ the 202 to sound closer to that amp than any solid state amp I have tried. I can make it sound like the Steelaire by flipping the "Voice" switch to "Full Q", but I don't want to. I can EQ the Steelaire to sound close to the 202, but not as full.

There is a delicate relationship between the "Gain" and "Mid" settings with a little "Limiter" tweaking if preferred. Don't be afraid of the Gain. It doesn't dirty up the tone like we have traditionally experienced in most cases. Of course we're discussing tone, probably the most subjective topic around here. We can tell you what we like, but nobody can tell you what you should like. If it sounds good to you, it is good.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 12:23 pm    

I know this is an older thread but figured i'd try. Has anyone used the Steelaire for other instruments? bass? keys? electric guitar? thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 12:37 pm    

Foster Haney wrote:
I know this is an older thread but figured i'd try. Has anyone used the Steelaire for other instruments? bass? keys? electric guitar? thoughts and opinions appreciated.

The demo video for the Steelaire that was on the Quilter website was done with an electric guitar, not a steel guitar. The lead guitar in the demo was good.