The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Happy birthday electric guitar
Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 5:14 am    

8/10/1937 the Ric frypan, the 1st electric guitar was patented today in 1937. Hanging with Les Paul, I told him I had one and asked if it influenced him when designing his guitar. He said "I'll never forget me and Leo got in a room and took one of these apart. We couldn't figure the thing out so we decided right there, to just go our own ways." Wow, right there. The man told me of a personal anticdote of Fender and Gibson going in different directions. There's is nothing more yin/yang in guitar world than the two. His little off the cuff story blew me away. And happy 110th birthday Leo Fender!

Heres me with mine in 2019. https://youtu.be/GBRPo6lQRBg

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 5:46 am    

I don't think the frypan will ever be topped in terms of tone, playability and simple design perfection. They manufactured them for years before they even got the patent, so maybe the patent was like baptism or something. Laughing

Great playing and tone, Marc. That must have been a thrill.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 6:33 am    

The Frying Pan was not the first electric guitar to be marketed; that was the Stromberg Electro series of 1928-9. It's possible that it was the first with a pickup the directly sensed the vibration of the strings, though the timing of early Audiovox steels is fuzzy so it's hard to say which one was first there.

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 6:36 am    

Noah Miller wrote:
The Frying Pan was not the first electric guitar to be marketed; that was the Stromberg Electro series of 1928-9. It's possible that it was the first with a pickup the directly sensed the vibration of the strings, though the timing of early Audiovox steels is fuzzy so it's hard to say which one was first there.

Maybe more acturate to say 1st commercially produced? Either way, nice piece of work. Who could've imagined Jimi Hendrix a mere 40 years later after electrifying the instrument.