The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Katana settings
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 12:36 am    

I’m sure it’s been discussed here already but maybe y’all don’t mind repeating yourselves. I just got a brand new Katana mk2 . 100 watt 112 combo. I already have an earlier 100 watt Katana head.
Question: Clean settings? Everything sounds like it’s got overdrive dialed in. What am I missing?

Thanks, Bill

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 5:50 am    

Bill, I suspect a previous owner saved presets with a lot of gain or distortion pedal setup. I'm guessing you are not familiar with it's programming? Turn amp choices to Acoustic or Clean, press the button for manual and start with the master control past noon and the gain very low or off. Adjust your input volume until you get a good clean signal. Bass is set close to max middle less than half and treble to taste. There is a video on YouTube from Steel guitar Nashville you should watch showing how to use it. Watch that please. I have an app for my Samsung android phone that I use to dial in better eq and effects to my taste. All settings can be saved. Download the owners manual.

Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 1:13 pm     A very thoughtful reply.

Thank you, I had arrived at a very similar conclusion. Now to fine tune. I’ll check out the video too. This is great. I’m digging it.
Bill

Harry Williams

Duncan, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 5:35 pm    

I have a similar issue with my Katana 50 - I can't turn the delay off. I turn the knob to full on and then to off, but nothing happens. Fortunately the delay that is produced is not too obnoxious.
I also have an issue with the 'clean' knob. The default seems to have some overdrive on it, but if you turn it to 'acoustic', and then back again it is cleaner. I like overdrive, but I like to control when to use it!

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2022 4:51 am    

Harry Williams wrote:
I have a similar issue with my Katana 50 - I can't turn the delay off. I turn the knob to full on and then to off, but nothing happens. Fortunately the delay that is produced is not too obnoxious.
I also have an issue with the 'clean' knob. The default seems to have some overdrive on it, but if you turn it to 'acoustic', and then back again it is cleaner. I like overdrive, but I like to control when to use it!

Have you tried a factory reset on your Katana?
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 3:37 pm     Katana mkII

Bill, if you haven't downloaded the Tone Studio, do it.
Hook that amp to the computer and it makes setting up your tone options much easier. Also it gives you access to additional functionality such as graphic EQ. It will also let you setup what the footswitch functions do. The 6 pedal footswitch is a must have imho. You can use amp like a stomp box or switch channels effortlessly. Also you can add another switch to the exp input and get the tap tempo function.
I use one for my guitar and have tried it for steel but always go back to Telonics Rig so I'm not an expert on Katana for steel. Hooking to computer makes it much easier to experiment with tone settings.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2022 8:08 am    

Here ya go Bill. This is the video teaching I did at steel guitar Nashville.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1077001119067642&_rdr