The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Solid state multi effects amp
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 8:27 am    

Looking for feedback on what steel players think is the best solid state multi effects amp and why?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 1:59 pm    

Dennis, 2 that were popular are the Boss Katana 100w and the Fender Mustang III V2. I have used both and the effects are great and the weight and volume are more than adequate for pedal steel. Of course the trends change and the discussions have vanished. I still have them and the Fender Tonemaster Twin and the Telonics TCA500. Neither have more than reverb and tremolo on the Fender. Quilter is also the choice in the 202 TT model.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 7:41 am    

I really love the sounds I can get with my Roland Cube 80 GX. Loud and clean for pedal steel and it's very light. The only complaint I have is the reverb but you can fix that with a pedal. I also use with my Tele and lap steel. The effects are pretty good but not very tweakable. I use them sparingly so it's no big deal for me. It has 2 channels that are really nice with the amp simulations. Get the foot switch that sells separately. My favorite for pedal steel is the "Black Panel" setting. The JC 120 setting is great as well. It has been very dependable and seems well built. It is very easy to get good tones as the controls are easy to navigate. I hate fiddling with buttons and digital displays. The controls are very simple. I have used it in several live situations and it kept up with the band in smaller venues. Best of luck, Dennis.

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 12:07 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Dennis, 2 that were popular are the Boss Katana 100w and the Fender Mustang III V2. I have used both and the effects are great and the weight and volume are more than adequate for pedal steel.
Dennis, the Mustang III V2 is a 100 W combo (1x12) and goes for less than $200 used, Fender has come out with newer models but it's still great.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 4:07 pm    

I've used a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 for a couple of decades, and (after a few mods like new speakers and a LeMay kit), it's done a pretty good job. The chorus is very good, and there are a couple of useable (but not great) reverbs, some excellent slap-backs, and a fair (fixed) delay. Power comes in at 130 watts/channel for a total of 260 watts, giving you a fair amount of "oomph". It also has a built-in distortion, for those with no taste or an axe to grind with the lead man and drummer. Laughing

For some reason, it's rare to find an amp like this, with reverb and a good chorus which can be used simultaneously. As far as adjustments, everything is knob/selector switch, so there are no stupid menus or screens to navigate. Definitely not a lightweight or a new offering, but they can often still be found in decent shape for $250-$350.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 6:57 pm    

Donny, I have one of those monsters and it's a good amp. But yes it's heavy. Also an old Peavey Heritage which is still great but heavy. The Heritage has a mid shift control giving me a better eq choice.

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 5:33 pm     In Reference To Best PSG Amp

I Am Wanting Some Opinions On PSG Amps. Has Anyone Used The Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master Solid State Amp? If So, How Does It Compare In Tone With The Peavey PSG Amps. I Have Heard That The Fender Solid State Comes Close, To The Tube Sound Of The Original Fender Twin Reverb Tube Amp. The Newest Fender Model Comes With 2-12" Celestion Speakers. Your Opinions Are Very Much Appreciated. Thank You!

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:35 pm    

Dennis,
What Donny Hinson said……

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin