The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An Odd Build
Chuck Moore

Pahoa, Hawaii
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 2:21 pm    

I'm attracted to weird and off beat things. So when my Kumu, Alan Akaka challenged me a while back to build an acoustic travel steel guitar I jumped at the chance. (Not really. I whined and grumbled at length about how it couldn't be done). But I remembered seeing a photo here on the forum a while back of a 1930s Hawaiian Attaché Guitar that looked like it could work. Mine would be seven strings, 22" scale, 18 frets, all koa. Lift off hinges for detachable lid. So I took a few days off this week and decided to build one similar to it.

My expectations were low that it would sound really good and those expectations were met. Wink Given the parameters of such an instrument it would be a challenge to get it to sound like anything at all. Certainly not like a Weissenborn but maybe more like a tenor ukulele. In that respect it is successful. But I decided to cover my butt and I added a Fishman sound hole pickup (magnetic with built in mic) to have the option to play it electronically if desired.

As excepted, acoustically it has limited sustain and volume but certainly loud enough to entertain a small crowd or to practice in a hotel room. Plugged in it doesn't sound half bad. Sound sample here if you do Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/chuck.moore.376/posts/pfbid02P86qPKUzqaCkh5PJW5SEJD8PEh4NTAHytnD5GrsFiKdFDMEEX6pwCXNxP83uEQERl?comment_id=1425842504601786&notif_id=1659735425690522&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 2:52 pm    

That's a beautiful piece of work, Chuck! Kudos.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 7:06 am    

Pretty! Sounds pretty good too, I'd say mission accomplished. Also enjoyed the brief tour of your "cool stuff" room.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 7:48 am    

Fine Looking Instrument!!!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 8:21 am    

That's a beaut Chuck. Love the grain on the front and how you split it for the lid and base.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 12:49 am    

I like that a lot! Your work is amazing, Chuck.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 2:30 pm    

I really love this one! Thinking outside the box (by putting the guitar inside)

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 5:38 pm     Love it

Nice job Chuck!
I love that idea. So maybe a few inches wider would be better, but it's so kool just as it is. I think 7 strings would be great for several tunings.

Koa is one of my favorite woods. In Viet Nam luthiers often use Acaia which looks very much the same and some has wild grain, but never has curly wood like Koa often does have.
The texture and workability is about the same as Koa or Mahogany.

I think some steelers would buy something like that just to take on trips or for practicing at home while watching movies.
I gave it a 4 thumbs up on facebook.
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Chuck Wilson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 8:06 pm    

Stunning Koa and wonderful craftmanship! Love the classic rope binding.

Brings a big smile to my face.

Jeff Bell

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 4:27 pm    

That's really beautiful, Chuck. If you start offering these, I could be in trouble...Great playing on your FB page, btw. You have one of the most beautiful practice spots on the planet. The birds seem to enjoy it too!