The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Reference In Science Fiction Novel
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 9:38 am    

I just finished reading the 2016 science fiction novel, Dark Matter, by Blake Crouch. The story is about a physicist who is abducted by a clone that sends him to an alternate universe. He finds his way back to his universe only to find the clone has replaced him. Many other clones try to kill him. In all that gore and drama I was surprised to find a steel guitar reference. 🙄

Here is an excerpt from page 316 where the steel is mentioned:
Quote:
The band is a country-and-western four-piece, and soon Daniela and I are slow-dancing in a mass of people on a tiny dance floor. Her body is pressed against mine, my hand cupping the small of her back, and between the steel guitar and the way she's looking at me
... and so on.

Terrible writing, right? But, that's not even the end of the story. The book was a "blockbuster" and is being turned into a series! I kid you not.
Quote:
“Dark Matter,” a new nine-episode sci-fi series coming to Apple TV+, will star Joel Edgerton and is based on the blockbuster book by Blake Crouch. Apple TV+ today announced it has landed “Dark Matter,” a new nine-episode series based on the blockbuster book by Blake Crouch.

If the series follows the book's storyline the four piece band with steel guitar should show up in the ninth episode. 🤣
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 5:08 pm    

Quote:
The band is a country-and-western four-piece, and soon Daniela and I are slow-dancing in a mass of people on a tiny dance floor. Her body is pressed against mine, my hand cupping the small of her back, and between the steel guitar and the way she's looking at me
... and so on.

Aw come on, you can't just leave us hanging THERE!

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:11 pm    

Don R Brown wrote:
Quote:
... and so on.

Aw come on, you can't just leave us hanging THERE!

Don, it's all downhill from there. The author pulls an idea from the TV series "Quantum Leap". The wife, son and (real) husband return to the alternate universe box to escape from the clones and let the son choose a random alternate universe for them to live in forever.

If you mean what happened immediately after she gave him "the look", use your imagination or read the book. I'm not going to destroy what little suspense the book has. Smile

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 7:53 pm    

Jim Fogle wrote:

If you mean what happened immediately after she gave him "the look", use your imagination or read the book. I'm not going to destroy what little suspense the book has. Smile

I guess we'll just have to take it from there.

...between the steel guitar and the way she's looking at me I figured I knew what the night had in store.

I never saw it coming. The music stopped, she gave my hand a squeeze, and said "Thanks, that was nice" - and walked to the table. I saw her writing her name and phone number, which she proceeded to take to the side of the stage and hand to the steel guitar player. I couldn't hear the whole conversation, but she did say something about "when you're through tonight".

I only have myself to blame. I've got to stop taking my dates to country bars. The that's the third girl this month I've lost to a pedal steel player. When will I ever learn?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2022 5:49 am    

Perfect Don
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 11:27 am    

Don, you got right, almost word-for-word! Amazing!!!! 🤣

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 11:51 am    

So... where's this bar at? I want a gig there! Cool

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 2:26 pm    

All this would be great...if most people today read books. Sadly, I believe most of them don't. 😐