The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alumitone and tuners
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 5:26 am    

I noticed a little fuzziness on some two and three note chords after installing my Alumitone. I changed cables and volume pedals but still got the occasional fuzzy stuff. Not much, just enough to notice. Finally I took out the tuner, a TU 12, and it went away.

I ordered 1 Meg resistors and I am going to add a tuner resistor modified jack beside my input jack for the tuner. I should have already done that.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 8:17 am    

High output (hot) pickups potentially can do that if too close to strings. The Lawrence 710 is included in this and the reason 3/16" is the suggested minimum distance from strings. I'm a little close to the strings on my GFI but so far no distortion.

If you have an amp with Low (normal) and High input, use the High and that will pad down the signal slightly and can eliminate distortion.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 8:29 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
High output (hot) pickups potentially can do that if too close to strings. The Lawrence 710 is included in this and the reason 3/16" is the suggested minimum distance from strings. I'm a little close to the strings on my GFI but so far no distortion.

If you have an amp with Low (normal) and High input, use the High and that will pad down the signal slightly and can eliminate distortion.

Thanks Jack, you are right and that was a concern I had when installing the Alumitone, as there is no easy lowering adjustment on the GFI short of a router or woodchisel.

As it turns out when I took out the TU 12 tuner it cleared up.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 8:29 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:

Thanks Jack, you are right and that was a concern I had when installing the Alumitone, as there is no easy lowering adjustment on the GFI short of a router or woodchisel.

As it turns out when I took out the TU 12 tuner it cleared up.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 2:19 pm    

I should have read your post closer. Putting tuners in line are a known cause of distortion and some even affect tone. Even some of the earlier high $$ Peterson tuners caused it.

But, as you agree, pickup too close to strings can be an issue.

I have a Goodrich 120 VP and I modified the 2nd output jack with a 1 meg resistor for a tuner connection.