The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter US Superblock?
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 11:59 am    

I know they are only 40 or 45 watts, anybody using one at all, or has tried one?

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 2:22 pm     Superblock

You have 25 watts or 1 watt. Depending on which power supply you choose. The 25w pushes a 12"cab pretty well in average settings. I mainly use mine with Xlr to a house PA system, while setting a small speaker cab beside me as a monitor. Very versatile amp,with decent reverb and eq capabilities, and fits on a small pedal board. I bring my amp and accessories in a briefcase!
I have used it with steel and 6 string guitars.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 10:36 pm    

I have used mine for electric guitar and lap steel mostly (XLR and extension speaker) on stage. Also used with PSG once for a rehearsal (XLR to mixing board only). Very pleased with the sound, gets those traditional Fender tweed/blonde/twin tones easily. Feels solid, as durable as any gear I've owned. The 25-watt power to extension speaker may not be enough if you plan to use it as a standalone amp head on the bandstand, you'll likely need to amplify the XLR signal as well.

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/superblock-us

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 3:49 am    

Thanks guys, sounds like what I'm looking for.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 11:49 pm    

The Superblock is 25 watts rated, the INTERBLOCK is 45 watts rated. They are not the same, know the difference. While they are both interesting, I believe we are going TOO FAR with a pedal board amp.

My take, my opinion, grab a DV Mark Micro 50 head, its a small package , weighs 4 pounds and offers more flexibility. IF 50 watts isn't enough, grab the 250 watt version. I recently upgraded from the DV Micro 50 to the 250 watt version. My opinion on the DV Micro 50 is that it is probably the best deal for a "+/- 50 watt" package on the planet . I carried mine as a spare for a few years then decided to upgrade to the 250 to use on a few outdoor shows I have coming up rather than carry a COMBO amp. The 50 can cover a good deal of ground, like small to medium sized rooms, but its not enough for an outdoor stage.

I had considered both of the Quilter Pedal Board amps then came to the conclusion that neither were going to cover my bases. I'm sure they are both nice but neither can supply extra "UUMPH" if needed. I realize we can run thru a sound system with a monitor in front of us, but I prefer an amp and CAB behind me. I don't want to hear the Steel/Guitar coming back to me thru a MIX. Apparently I am still old school ! Sad

Regardless, I wish you the best !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 5 Aug 2022 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 9:50 am    

Thanks Tony! I will check that out

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 3:43 pm    

My VERY limited time with the SuperBlock at MSA driving a 15" BW, says its pretty sweet... mind you there was just shop noise, but I was afraid to hit the gas. It sounded great.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 5:40 pm    

Quote:
I had considered both of the Quilter Pedal Board amps then came to the conclusion that neither were going to cover my bases. I'm sure they are both nice but neither can supply extra "UUMPH" if needed.

The Superblock is 25 watts rated, the INTERBLOCK is 45 watts rated.... My take, my opinion, grab a DV Mark Micro 50 head, its a small package , weighs 4 pounds and offers more flexibility.
Tony Prior

Tony, while you mention the Interblock several times, I assume your comparisons are to the Superblock. As for the "UUMPH" - the Interblock is 45 watts. To sound twice as loud, one has to go to 450 watts. So I doubt the 50 watt DV will sound any louder than the Interblock. It will sound a bit louder than the Superblock.

As for the "flexibility" - I don't see any features on the DV 50 that are not equaled on the Interblock. I'm not putting down the DV - and I know enough about your knowledge and skill level to give serious thought to any gear you recommend, so I am not criticizing you - just clarifying that, from my perspective, the Interblock offers similar features to the DV 50. The Superblock is, I think, made for a bit more of a specific task - vintage Fender emulation, and thus perhaps less flexible. And I'm sure the DV 250 has plenty more "UUMPH".

So Tony, with the DV's with your guitar, if you want a more crunched tone, do you use the drive that is on the amp, or do you use fx pedals? I'd be very curious to hear how the DV 50 sounds with blues harp - if anyone out there has one and plays harp!

I've not played through a Superblock, but a lot of blues harp players are giving it rave reviews. For pedal steel I use a Quilter Tone Block 202. I have an Interblock 45 that I used for a while with pedals as a blues harmonica amp and liked it, but recently acquired a 40 watt tube amp head made for blues harp (Harp Train 40). However, the Interblock is so small I leave it on my pedal board, just not plugged into the fx loop. If I ever have problems with my tube amp head, the Interblock is right there, ready to go. I thought about buying a smaller pedal board and leaving it home - but then I realized I only save a few inches and a few ounces, so why bother? Nice to have the emergency backup!

I have my doubts about the Superblock 25 working with pedal steel for gigs unless used as describe, with amp driving a monitor speaker and the line out going to the board for the house. Should make a nice practice amp, though.

BTW, the Interblock is no longer being made.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 1:54 pm    

Doug thx for the note. Yes Superblock to Interlock, along with feature set. indeed the 50 /45 is probably very similar, but if you look back at what I wrote, I said that the DV 50 watt is good for a small to average room , I will say that the DV 50 while rated at 50 watts feels WAY over that , Its got extra clean level in reserve.

My entire point was to compare the Superblock to the Interblock , and then maybe take a look at the feature set for the DV Micro 50 which is a small amp head , not a Pedal Board AMP.
I know and understand the wattage math, but in reality, a 50 watter will give a tad more clean gain, should it be required. Steel guitars love a bit more gain on the sustain.

How did I use the 50 ? Both ways, on bd drive and also with my small pedal bd. The on board DRIVE and Reverb is acceptable if we are not overboard anal . I had two DVs, primarily for Steel, the 45 Watt Little Jazz 12 combo which I used on small to medium sized rooms and the Micro 50 head which was basically a spare. I have neither anymore, I recently upgraded to the DV GH 250.

I'm certain the Quilter Labs Pedal Board products are good , as are the DV small lightweight heads.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website