The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bruce Cogburn
Mike Ihde

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 7:30 pm    

I was shocked and saddened by an e-mail from Bruce's daughter, Deneen, telling me that Bruce had passed away on New Years Eve. She didn't say what the cause was but it was apparently during the night while he was sleeping.
He was a good and treasured friend of mine beginning back the 70's when he started the New England chapter of the Pedal Steel Guitar Association and had put on some great concerts for the members, as well as the general public, with performers including Buddy Emmons, Doug Jernigan, DeWitt "Scotty" Scott and many, many others.
Here's a photo of Bruce, myself and Buddy in my office at Berklee College of Music. Buddy had donated his double neck to the Guitar Department. I called the photo "Passing the Bar." Having that steel allowed a lot of students to have access to a professional level instrument that they could practice on without having to spend a ton of money on some 3 and 1 axe that never stayed in tune. He called that particular guitar "Old Betsy" (the cow) because it had 9 pedals and 10 knee levers!
Bruce held monthly meetings at the Weymouth Air Base and there were always local bands with steel players to entertain everyone. He was a warm and giving person who did so much to further the love for steel guitar. I will miss his friendly smile and infectious laugh.
His memory will live on because of all the people he touched during his life. He will be missed.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2020 6:14 am    

This is very sad news, Mike. I never met Bruce in person but we talked on the phone a couple of times. And I was at the Buddy Emmons concert that Bruce put on in Pembroke in 1977. What a show that was! You played guitar on that show, I believe. My condolences to the family. Rest in peace, Bruce.

PS That's a wonderful picture!

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 10:55 am     Bruce's Publication, Pedal Steel Guitarist

I recently acquired a first edition copy of Bruce's publication, The Pedal Steel Guitarist magazine. If anyone has more issues of this magazine, I'd love to borrow them to scan and include in the free "Instruction and Information" section of my website. ...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)