The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bespoke Pedal Steel
Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 4:56 pm    

Throughout my pedal steel journey I have been frustrated by not having a steel guitar that fits and is comfortable to play. At some point on my steel guitar journey I would like to commission a bespoke guitar that fits me comfortably. What kind of measurements are important to fit a pedal steel to a player?

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 11:30 pm    

This would be my list:

1. Height to fit your height
2. Placement of horizontal knee levers to fit your legs, long or short
3. Distance between knee lever pairs to fit your legs, skinny or fat (preferrably widely adjustable)
4. Placement, angle and travel of vertical knee lever (should be adjustable)
5. Placement of pedals in relation to the left knee levers for a natural feel and easy pedal rocking
6. Depthwise placement of knee levers in relation to distance from the rear apron, some like them all as far rearward as possible, some want them much nearer the front apron, depending on leg length and preferred playing posture. Body depth also matters in this case.
7. String spacing
8. Pedal shape, if you want to play barefoot.
9. Possibly pedal spacing.
10. I would also like adjustable pedal travel without moving pull rods, to be able to find a perfect compromise between smooth/quick pedal action.

I would start by trying as many pedal steels as possible, documenting their dimensions and what you would want to change on each one. That would be a good starting point.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 8:12 am    

Didn't know that Bespoke built custom pedal steels. Do you have any photos, I would be curious to see their work.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 9:24 am    

I think by "bespoke" Paul means a custom built specifically for him and not a particular brand.

All Sierras are custom built for the player who orders one. Just like when I built custom bicycle frames, I send a fitting sheet to my customers to fill out, then discuss with me, so I can fit the guitar as closely as possible to their body and playing needs.

Good luck on your search for a new steel!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 10:58 pm    

If you google "Bespoke Guitars" There is a custom guitar builder comes up with some pretty 6 string under arm guitars.

Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 7:00 pm    

Yes, I do mean having a guitar made for specifically to fit me. Ross, I know the quality that you put into your instruments and they are too nice for me now.

I think with cnc technology it should be possible with some clever programming be possible to “mass produce” a custom fit pedal steel.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 10:44 am    

Paul Strojan wrote:
Yes, I do mean having a guitar made for specifically to fit me. Ross, I know the quality that you put into your instruments and they are too nice for me now.

I think with cnc technology it should be possible with some clever programming be possible to “mass produce” a custom fit pedal steel.

Paul, the key things to a good fit on pedal steel in my opinion are the precise locations of pedals and especially knee levers, then their ease of action. I admire the GFI design, because levers are attached to the cabinet, and a pushing or pulling rod connects them to the "action" crossrod with bell cranks and pull rods. Very easy to move the actual levers around to suit. Most builders attach levers directly to crossrods, a limiting and inferior design as far as fit, imho.

I think early Sierra guitar had the levers sliding on a rear rail for easy placement exactly where you want them, maybe someone can verify that for us.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 10:45 am    

Per Berner, your list of factors is excellent!