The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Cage's 1970s E9 Copedent
Tom Brooks

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 8:20 pm    

Howdy folks, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what changes Buddy Cage was using on his E9 neck during the '70s for all those classic NRPS records? I've done a bit of a deep dive and haven't found much aside from copedents for his later steels, I have a vague memory of it being in the Winnie Winston book but for the life of me I can't find my copy!

If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 1:43 am    

Here's the Cage setup according to Winston:-

It could be described as straightforward-with-additions. I have a question in return - what is P4 for? It gives Eb9 when D9 is only a fret away on P6. There must be more to it than that. My old 60s D10 had signs of it but it had been replaced. Strangely, Jimmy Crawford (the next entry in the list) had it on P9 and Doug Jernigan is also shown as having it, but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else and no-one mentions it nowadays.

Tom Brooks

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 2:25 pm    

Many thanks Ian! As to your question re P4 it's a mystery to me too, my only thought is that it was a legacy change that he'd not thought to change or perhaps it was ergonomically convenient for a particular phrase or lick? Honestly I haven't examined Buddy's C6 playing in great detail, the bits and pieces I've come across have been mostly Charleton-esque single note solo work.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 2:47 pm    

That pedal 4 looks very close to Doug Jernigan's #4. From what I can see, Doug's also gives him an Eb9.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 1:35 am    

Not just close but identical as I noted above!

Perhaps it's like P8 in that you seldom use the whole thing but use the 7th string raise a lot. Maybe this mystery change was mostly used to raise 6, but with three raises and only one lower it may have been a bit heavy.

Last edited by Ian Rae on 7 Aug 2022 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 2:20 am    

Sorry, Ian: I missed that. I read your opening remark and studied the chart, saw the similarity and posted.

I'd been giving that change some thought lately and had concluded that it's not a change I'm ready for. My P8 is seldom used; this could fall into the same category.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 2:58 am    

I hardly use P8 either as I have the 7th string raise on a lever. If I ever commissioned another guitar I'd leave it off.