The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ShoBud Super Pro Changer PARTS (new)
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 3:46 pm    

I am restoring a ShoBud Super Pro and upgrading the parts (doing away with all the pot metal stuff).
I am looking for NEW changer fingers (2x10), preferably machined.

Anyone?

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 3:37 am    

Hi J D you might check with Jeff at Sho Pro I think at one time he was doing replacement fingers for the old Bud's. I have made changer fingers for Pull Release guitars could probably make the Sho Bud but I would need an example to go by.

Good Luck
Barry

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 3:02 pm    

Barry Coker wrote:
Hi J D you might check with Jeff at Sho Pro I think at one time he was doing replacement fingers for the old Bud's. I have made changer fingers for Pull Release guitars could probably make the Sho Bud but I would need an example to go by.

Good Luck
Barry

Thanks Barry.
I have tried to reach ShowPro but without success.
I don't know if they have an email?

I would gladly entertain you making quality fingers. I could have a finger sent to you.

Do you make mechanical parts in general? I ask because I am looking for a parts builder for a prototype.

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 2:37 am    

I have made a few things for people here on the forum. here are a few examples.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 5:06 am    

JD,
In case you’re not aware there is a Seller on EBay and Reverb offering NOS Sho~Bud parts.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 9:01 am    

JD, I replaced many of the pot metal parts on my Super Pro back in the mid '80s. When I went to a machinist to do the knee lever brackets he had me purchase a tool that makes that size hex hole in the brackets. I forget what it's called but I just noticed it on my workbench the other day. I had him do them in steel & had them chromed so I know it's a tough tool. Probably should have had them done with aircraft aluminum but I really didn't notice the weight. I don't have any parts but the tool is available if you need it. I'll never use it.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 9:22 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
JD,
In case you’re not aware there is a Seller on EBay and Reverb offering NOS Sho~Bud parts.

Hey Marty! How'ya doin'?

THANKS! I just looked him up wrote him.

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 9:25 am    

Scott Denniston wrote:
JD, I replaced many of the pot metal parts on my Super Pro back in the mid '80s. When I went to a machinist to do the knee lever brackets he had me purchase a tool that makes that size hex hole in the brackets. I forget what it's called but I just noticed it on my workbench the other day. I had him do them in steel & had them chromed so I know it's a tough tool. Probably should have had them done with aircraft aluminum but I really didn't notice the weight. I don't have any parts but the tool is available if you need it. I'll never use it.

Thanks Scott.
I would have used brass.

The tool you mention,... it's for which bracket?
Does it punch a round hole into a hexagon, is that what it is?

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 9:26 am    

Barry Coker wrote:
I have made a few things for people here on the forum. here are a few examples.

You and I need to have a chat. Smile ... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 9:44 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
Scott Denniston wrote:

Thanks Scott.
I would have used brass.

The tool you mention,... it's for which bracket?
Does it punch a round hole into a hexagon, is that what it is?

Thanks!... J-D.

It's called a broach. I had to buy one years ago when I refurbished a Super Pro. You drill the round hole first and using a press (hydraulic is best), you punch through the part and it makes a hex hole for you. They are not cheap.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 10:04 am    

Yeah Richard's picture looks like the thing. This one is in a plastic tube and there's still oil on it after all these years. Anyway it should be the right one for the hex on that guitar. Glad to see it get used so I'd just charge for shipping. Then maybe someone else might need it too. That was the only fault I found with that guitar -- the pot metal.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 11:27 am    

Scott Denniston wrote:
Yeah Richard's picture looks like the thing. This one is in a plastic tube and there's still oil on it after all these years. Anyway it should be the right one for the hex on that guitar. Glad to see it get used so I'd just charge for shipping. Then maybe someone else might need it too. That was the only fault I found with that guitar -- the pot metal.

Thanks for that Richard!
I wouldn't have know what it was called.

Scott, that's to punch out the bell cranks!

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 12:41 pm    

I can't remember for sure but doesn't the hex go through some lever brackets too, or a part that interacts with the brackets? I know I got rid of every moving part (except fingers) that was pot metal. It was a lever bracket that broke on stage and I had to make a 20 mile round trip during the break to get my other steel.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 12:52 pm    

Scott Denniston wrote:
I can't remember for sure but doesn't the hex go through some lever brackets too, or a part that interacts with the brackets? I know I got rid of every moving part (except fingers) that was pot metal. It was a lever bracket that broke on stage and I had to make a 20 mile round trip during the break to get my other steel.

I believe every part that connects to a cross rod has a hex hole. I don't remember any other types of holes in Super Pro parts.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 4:26 am    

All of the bell cranks, knee leaver cranks, and pedal rod cranks on Sho-Bud's have 5/16" hex holes to fit the shafts I use an arbor press with a punch broach to make the hex shaped holes if you look at the last two Pics in my earler post very close you can see the hex wholes.
Let me know if you need my email J-D.

Barry