The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss KATANA-Artist MkII
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 1:00 pm    

Has anyone tried this amp out? I tried a Katana 100 watt 2x12 and liked the effects but found it thin sounding. Hoping the WAZA speaker might be warmer sounding.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 7:31 pm    

Dennis, I have the Katana 100 watt single 12 amp. With a usb cable and the Katana app I was able to dial in a better tone using more parametric eq on the mids and bass. The speaker is capable of doing good tone but you need the app or your laptop and Boss software. Then save your settings and make music. You can also swap effects and save as well.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 3:56 am    

I have the Katana Artist with the Waza speaker. I use it more for guitar. It does sound good for steel and the Waza speaker is good. The eq controls are very responsive. I like the reverb. My main amp is a Session 400 with an Alec 418 speaker and I use it for steel. However, the Katana is very steel capable and I could get along fine using it for steel. But, I am partial to my Session 400.

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 8:22 am    

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try out the Katana.

Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2022 7:19 pm    

I recently picked up a Katana Artist 100 MKII and have also had the the Katana 100 MK1 (a friend liked it and bought it recently) and the 50 MKII (also great, but a little thin and worked out nicely for a guitar playing bandmate).

Larry's experience is the same as mine -- it really helps to dig into the settings in the app. The Studio Rats channel on YouTube has an extensive Katana playlist and some excellent insights about how to get good results with the software. They're after different tones usually, but how they get there is instructive. The acoustic setting sounds best to my ears. Plate reverb. Some 300ms delay. Just a touch of treble boost. You can noodle with it forever.

One thing that helped me was to save 3-4 different but similar steel sounds and then hop between them. My ears pretty quickly settled on a favorite and I kept that one. I keep thinking I should share some patches here.

To my ears the Waza speaker in the Artist sounds quite a bit more substantial than the standard 100. Fuller bass. More clarity. Of course, this could just be me rationalizing the higher cost, so take that with a grain of salt. Smile I really liked the original 100 as well. The Artist definitely feels and sounds like a beefier amp. But it's also heavier and bigger, so there's that.

I've been trying to settle on a steel amp that also works tele and baritone guitar. Mostly I've been using a Cube 80XL for steel and have loved it. But it's not my favorite for guitar. The Katana Artist 100 may check all the boxes.

I'm embarrassed to say I also have a mid-70s Pro Reverb that has been blackfaced and sounds amazing. But it's heavy and I've haven't played a gig where I could turn it up past 3, so it mostly sits.

In hindsight, I've probably paid 3x the price of a Deluxe Reverb that I should have bought to begin with but was too cheap. Very Happy

Good luck!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 12:11 am    

after much contemplation and time, I acquired a USED Katana 50 watter without the WAZA speaker, maybe a year ago. I now use it on every guitar gig that is NOT an outdoor stage, it performs.
I only use it in the CLEAN setting mode and the only on board effect I use is reverb, now and then. I spent some time with the BOSS Effects and came to the conclusion that while they were there, I don't need them and it was too much extra effort to dial them in compared to my already dialed in small pedal board. I like the amp for what it offers, enough clean juice for my small room GUITAR gigs and weighs about 20 lbs or so. In its category of price its a winner . I paid $160 used at GC. If it breaks I would buy another ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 4:58 am    

I'm considering swapping speakers to enhance the steel tone on the Boss 100. It may not prove to be better but it's worth the effort. I have several loose speakers to sample if the bolt pattern works out.