Author Topic:  Nashville 400
Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 5:56 am    

How to hook up two Nashville 400 in stereo

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 6:54 am    

Not really stereo because you only have one pickup/output from the guitar. You can get a somewhat stereo thing going by using a stereo effect unit, like a rackmount unit or pedals like a delay that have stereo outputs, where you can (for example) route the dry signal to one amp and the effected signal to the other amp. Come out of your volume pedal into one of these devices, and send the outputs to the amps.

The only way I can see getting true stereo would be to have 2 pickups wired to their own dedicated jack on the guitar, a stereo volume pedal running the 2 outputs to the separate amps.

Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 7:54 am     Nashville 400

Thank you

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 8:17 am    

Here's another method that some of us used some 30 yrs. ago called the clean/dirty amp.

The idea was that your main amp would stay clean without any effects and run the fx into the second amp.

By mixing the volumes of the amps, you could have sort of a stereo effect with the different sounds coming from separate amps.

Pardon the chicken scratching, but this is a crude diagram of the connections.

You will need a way to cancel the ground loop caused when you hook two amps together in either method. There are devices for plugging power cords into that will accomplish this such as the HumX.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 9:33 am    

That's cool Jerry. Never knew that.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 10:11 am    

Hey Jerry, I remember using that method as well in the 70’s, especially since back then most effects units only had a mono output. We had to use an adapter that eliminated the ground (not recommended, ask me how I know😂) didn’t have a Hum X back then. If I remember correctly, I was using a Small Stone Phase Shifter. Thanks for posting.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 10:44 am    

Yeah Richard and Jerry, I think this was the genesis of the stereo rigs before a lot of dedicated stereo effects units, satellite speaker units were available. I always used a NV400 as the main amp but experimented with others for a second amp for a dirty effects unit.

I'm familiar with the 3/2 adapter thing too.

Graham Bland

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 4:51 am     Stereo

I have used and set up stereo amps the way Jerry Overstreet described in the the 4th post down and the way he is suggesting works perfectly and is a good way of doing it!