The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI ULTRA SD 10 Sustain
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 5:02 am    

I have had my GFI ULTRA for a few weeks now and I am still finding reasons to like it.

I can say that I have never had the amount of sustain this guitar offers. Going up or down the fretboard the usable sustain continues. It is a pleasure to play this guitar.

I am talking about sustain coming from the guitar without having to increase volume with the volume pedal.

I play Gospel and this guitar offers expression abilities on slower songs I have wanted and never had. The ULTRA is now my main guitar.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 6:24 am     Gfi

Mine is the same way. Pretty nice steels for sure.

Zach Turner

Carmel Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 9:39 am    

I too find that my GFI Ultra SD10 has a ton of sustain. It is my first pedal steel so I can not compare it to other steels but I am impressed by it. Certainly more than any of my 6 strings!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 2:25 pm    

Can't say I hear a lot of sustain, compared to the D-10 Franklin and D-10 Ultra I had. All 3 steels have Lawrence 710 pickups.
The only difference, this new one is Keyless. Other Ultra and Franklin were keyed. I suspect the solid bar nut instead of rollers may have something to do with sustain.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 7:34 pm    

I have a GFI keyed ULTRA S12 U that I gigged for about 18 months before COVID shut both house band gigs I worked, It is a good sounding steel.

I also bought a GFI Keyless Ultra S12 U used just to have a spare steel when I was playing every weekend. Both Steels have George L E-66 pups.
I have been playing the keyless at home, And it has become my favorite steel. The sustain is the best I have ever had under my hands.

I will be the first to admit, When I first got the keyless I wondered about The Solid steel rod Nut, I went and bought a Stainless Steel Rod, Had brass and aluminum rod, Designed and Drew out a roller nut system. Once I played the guitar I will not change anything. I think no rollers and only about 1/2" or so dead string, Between the solid steel bar nut and the keyless finger, Allows no dead string vibration, Or roller vibration to dampen sustain.

I want to set both guitars up side by side and do some comparing them through the same amps and line toys, Soon as I get free time.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 6:15 am     Keyless GFI

Bobby, my keyless S10 GFI puzzled me with that bar nut. But man it sure is a simple design that produces great results.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 7:45 am     Re: Keyless GFI

Joe Krumel wrote:
Bobby, my keyless S10 GFI puzzled me with that bar nut. But man it sure is a simple design that produces great results.

The other day while playing my guitar picker friend said he believed the sustain I have was due to the Dispatch Master reverb/echo I use. I turned it off and still had great sustain. The GFI is a good guitar. Mine has the Grover tuners, but they are no problem.

If I suggested any change I would want a little more room between the tuners and roller nut. When sliding off over the nut I sometimes get into the tuner knob. That is not a real issue though.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 8:42 am    

My 2021 SD10 4X5 GFI Ultra has the III pickup. I'm not having sustain issues but I find that pickup to be overly bright. Jack has the 710 Lawrence and Bobby an E66. Can't recall what Bill has in his. What do you like about your pickup choice over the stock GFI pickup?

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 8:58 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
My 2021 SD10 4X5 GFI Ultra has the III pickup. I'm not having sustain issues but I find that pickup to be overly bright. Jack has the 710 Lawrence and Bobby an E66. Can't recall what Bill has in his. What do you like about your pickup choice over the stock GFI pickup?

The GFI pickup caused the wound strings to bloom and I could not eq it out. I got an Alumitone and I am totally satisfied. I was a little concerned when installing because there is no room to lower the pickup, but it was the right hight without any trouble. I screwed it directly to the top board and pickup to string space is good. I plan to replace the E66s on my D10 with Alumitones.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 10:29 am    

Larry, like Bill, the GFI III in my S-10 with pad (SD-10) was too boomy bassy. I have never been a George L's pickup fan, but have used Lawrence pickups since I got the Franklin new in late 82 (705's initially and 710's when they came out). The Ultra D-10 had a George L's E66 on the E9th and the stock GFI II on C6th when I got it. As I didn't like the George L's, and my ears "tuned' to Lawrence 710's I replaced the E66 with a 710. The GFI II is OK but I changed it to a 710 also so both were the same. Sustain was good on the Ultra, not as good as the Franklin but good. We also had a S-10 Expo with a GFI II and I don't recall any sustain issue (the S-10 was traded for the Ultra D-10). This new keyless S-10 with pad doesn't seem to have the sustain (with the original GFI III or 710) the D-10 Ultra had and except for a full D-10 body (and 2nd neck and hardware) the difference is the keyless mechanism and solid bar nut.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 10:17 am    

Thanks for your reply. I am going to swap it out. I have a 705 and E66. Guess the 705 will go in for a test run.