The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeing The Light - Slowly
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 11:16 am    

It seems that I may finally be seeing the light… at least as far as my preferred tuning goes.

I was pretty happy adding a low E to the Dobro tuning for my 7 string guitars (EGBDGBD); until jamming yesterday with a friend, him playing a 12 string pedal steel. After learning a couple simple slant techniques, it became apparent that there are just too many things that just can’t be done with the 6 way down there by itself.

So, the standard 7 string G6 will be used, and I’m just gonna have to learn how to use it. GBDEGBD.

Of course, 8 string players don’t have to decide, since they get the E twice, EGBDEGBD.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2022 6:05 pm     Light? What light?

I decided to take a step back. Open D works great for 90% of what I actually enjoy playing. Adding a re-entrant F to my 7-string steels covers most of the other 10%.

Was GBDEGBD a “better” tuning? Probably for most people. But it made more sense to use a tuning that feels natural to me, and is just plain fun.

Last edited by Allan Revich on 5 Sep 2022 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 12:01 am    

If you haven't heard the Gary Morse recording called "Resophonic Rodeo", then you should check it out. He plays a 7 string Dobro on it and really shows off the potential of the GBDEGBD tuning.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 1:34 pm    

I remain partial to 6th tunings. I have a couple of 6-strings set up in G6 (with a B on top), and I like -- and use -- the lower tuning alot. Same intervals as standard C6, but in a lower register. Very useful for playing in certain keys. I also have a couple of 7-strings set up in A6, with an E on top, and another 6-string in D6 (with an F# on top), but with its skinny strings, it can get a tad on the whiny side.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2022 9:51 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I remain partial to 6th tunings. I have a couple of 6-strings set up in G6 (with a B on top), and I like -- and use -- the lower tuning alot. Same intervals as standard C6, but in a lower register. Very useful for playing in certain keys. I also have a couple of 7-strings set up in A6, with an E on top, and another 6-string in D6 (with an F# on top), but with its skinny strings, it can get a tad on the whiny side.

So, your A6 is A C♯ E F♯ A C♯ E, right? Is the D6 also the same intervals as C6, but tuned up a full tone?

BTW, I completely understand the advantages of 6th tunings, but apparently the connections between my brain and my fingers are defective. Confused

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 4:21 am    

Allan Revich wrote:

So, your A6 is A C♯ E F♯ A C♯ E, right? Is the D6 also the same intervals as C6, but tuned up a full tone?

Exactly.

Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 9:28 am    

How did you arrive at the reentrant f?

My pedal steel setup is pretty complex but I often jump back to a 3x3 E9 and there is something beautiful about how it has just enough to do pretty much anything. I say play what feels good, I'm sure a plain open D has a similar simple beauty that I don't get yet because I only play A7/C6 on non-pedal. Lean into it Smile

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 9:18 pm    

Lee Gauthier wrote:
How did you arrive at the reentrant f?

My pedal steel setup is pretty complex but I often jump back to a 3x3 E9 and there is something beautiful about how it has just enough to do pretty much anything. I say play what feels good, I'm sure a plain open D has a similar simple beauty that I don't get yet because I only play A7/C6 on non-pedal. Lean into it Smile

That’s the plan Lee! You were my inspiration to give GBDEGBD another go. I wish it “took” for me, but fDADF#AD seems to work for me most of the time. I do miss that 6 to 7 slant on the E string though.