The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Genoa Keawe's Website
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 3:58 pm    

I posted this some years back, but just wanted to let y'all know that Hawaiian singer Genoa Keawe has a website: http://www.genoakeawe.com
Nice pictures and music to enjoy.

The steel player on the front and guestbook pages is Benny Rogers, the first steel player I ever heard (from Genoa's records). His sound is what inspired me to take up the instrument.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 10:07 am    

I have enjoyed that website alot. A real creative layout and design too once you get the hang of navigating it. Love all the personal photos and history. Of course her voice and endurance are amazing.

As a sort of "guitar geek" I've spent a fair amount of time searching online for a good picture of Benny's guitar like the one he is shown playing in a small, grainy photo I have. It's a mid to late fifties white Supro double neck, but not of the type more commonly found. I finally did see a great pic of one in the "sold" inventory of a music store's website. I wish I had made a copy at the time, because now I see it has been pulled. Sad

It seems like players at that time didn't have such an aversion to razor sharp treble as today. It's a cool sound, but now it's all about fat, round, warm, etc.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 6:42 pm     Love her music and Web site !!

I have a couple old L.P.s of Genoas music on the "49th State Hawaii Record Co" label and have always enjoyed her music !! As I recall those recordings were done in the late "40s ??? Label states steel guitar by Benjamin Rogers !! Ben does a lot of instrumental music on that label also. Web site was great !! Thanks for bringing this to our attention !! From the picture on the record envelope looks like Ben was playing a Bake.Rick. on a stand at that time ??? Eddie "C" ( the old geezer )

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 12:37 am    

Hi Eddie,

The steel player on the 49th State LP's is actually a student of Benny's by the name of Alika Kaneakua.
Alika passed away about a year ago.

The pictures I've seen of Benny courtesy of the Rogers family shows him playing a light yellow Supro double 6.

Aloha Very Happy

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 6:35 am     " Alika" picture OR player ???

Hi Derrick !! Thanks for the info !! Are you saying that "Alika" played steel on those records or that was his picture on the album jacket ??? Said on most of the album covers "Hawaiian Steel guitar by Benj. Rogers" ??? Or did Alika play on some of the records ??? I have 5 different "49th State" L.P.s , 3 with Genoas group pict. and 4 say Benj. Rogers , Hawaiian Steel Guitar ??? Help !!! Eddie "C" ( the old geezer )

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 2:38 pm    

Hi Eddie,

Alika didn't play on any of the albums. The picture was just used by 49th State Records for the LP cover.

I've heard from the Rogers family that Benny didn't like getting his picture taken, so this may be the reason why his student was in the picture, although it's Benny playing the the album.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 2:50 pm     Not Bennys picture !!!

Thanks, Derrick !! Great info !! You can't tell a book by the cover !! I always thought that was Bennys pict with the group on the L.P. cover !! Now I have the real story !! The music on the records is great no matter whose pic is there !!! Aloha , Eddie "C" ( the ole geezer )

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 3:20 pm    

I consider Genoa Keawe the unsung hero of Hawaiian steel guitar. I thank her more than anyone for keeping the steel guitar alive in Hawaiian music. While other groups considered the steel as an "extra", she always insisted on having one in her band--and loud up there with the voices, not just in the background. Young people of Hawai'i have always been drawn to her music and singing style. Wherever they seek out her music, they'll hear the steel guitar. Every young person I've met here that was interested in learning the steel was inspired by the Rogers sound.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2022 7:12 am    

I've been listening to Genoa Keawe recently. Does anyone know who played lap steel on Princess Poopoolay from the Dance the Hula album?

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2022 2:45 pm    

Joe Burke wrote:
I've been listening to Genoa Keawe recently. Does anyone know who played lap steel on Princess Poopoolay from the Dance the Hula album?

It sounds like David Keli'i.