The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Epiphone Electar Zephyr 8 string steel
Roger Guyett

San Francisco, Ca.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 8:21 am    

Hi -

I’m looking for advice on the value of an Epiphone Electar Zephyr 8 string steel please. 22 1/2” scale length that I’m considering selling.
Case is original - it’s a lovely guitar.

I’ve looked around a lot and cannot find another example of an 8 string…seems rare.

Thanks
Rog.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 9:58 am    

Pretty hard to come up with a price, since it's so rare.
I'm interested, when you come up with a price.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 3:40 am    

I used to collect Epiphone steels, and even I don't have a clear answer. I don't think the number of strings has a big effect on value compared to the rarity of this late version of the Zephyr. This probably won't sell to someone specifically looking for an 8-string, but rather to someone looking for a rare model. So even if you find the "right" price it still requires finding the "right" buyer.

My gut feeling is that it is worth somewhere around $750. If you want to sell it fast, $600; if you want to get the most out of it, maybe $900 but be prepared to get lower offers.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 6:50 am    

Roger,
I'm not in the market for any more guitars, but I would pay more for an 8 string lap steel than a 6 stringer. Very Happy
Erv

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 7:23 am    

Given the current trend in prices, I would put an asking price of around $2000 on this. It looks to be in very good condition. It is very rare, and would be a great addition to a collection as well as a very playable 8 string.

At $2000 it might not sell quickly on this forum where most members are over 70 and are still stuck on prices that I don’t see anywhere else anymore. On Reverb you’d have a bigger reach, but might wait several weeks or even months to get top dollar, and then have to pay their fees.

If you want to move it quickly on this forum, somewhere around $1200 would probably do it.

In a nutshell, if you’re prepared to wait for a well-heeled buyer, list on Reverb for 2000, probably get 1750, less 5%. If you want to sell it quickly, list here for 1200, and take the best offer you get.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Roger Guyett

San Francisco, Ca.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 1:22 pm    

Thanks so much for your replies....I know its very difficult to set an absolute price. I appreciate the advice.
At the end of the day, it's worth what someone will pay for it...

Much appreciated,
Roger

ps. Erv : I agree - Ive heard that a steel guitar's value is directly related to number of strings and its weight...Smile