The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Steel-King
Mark E Smith

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 6:26 am    

Would anybody know the basic PSG settings for a Steel-King? I mostly use my Peavey Nashville 112 to learn and practice with. When I first bought the Steel-King about 12-14 years ago, I had to take it in to Fender repair twice because the reverb didn't work at all. They fixed it; said it was a faulty wire installed on the production line. Anyway, I'd like to use it, if for no other reason, because it's just sitting collecting dust. I did buy a Holy Grail reverb unit because of comments I've seen on the Forum about the Steel-King.

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 7:29 am     Settings

Mark, I played through a Steelking for several years, great amp. (Wish I had still had it.)
The easy way....set all eq knobs to straight up 12 o'clock - as a starting point. But, as I recall, I didn't tweak it very much. YMMV.
John L.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 8:11 am    

What John said. I remember reading that part of the design intent was to have 12 o'clock be the default setting. Then it's all tweaking to taste. One thing I never liked or accepted was the reverb. To my taste, it is simply unusable. But it's the old YMMV.

Mark E Smith

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 3:11 am    

Thanks John and Jon for your insights. Pardon my ignorance, but what is YMMV?

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 4:05 am    

"Your Mileage May Vary"

Commonly used abbreviation on the Forum, indicating
"This is my understanding, but you might find it different in your own experience."

(I first heard the phrase in car commercials years ago. Whenever the EPA mileage ratings were given in a TV commercial, there would always be the disclaimer, "Your mileage may vary.")

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 7:28 am    

Hi Mark. I have been playing through a Steel King for close to 15 years now. My settings are as such. I run everything flat (or at 12 o'clock) with the exception of the bass. I have it set at 1:00. I have a BW 1502 speaker. I have George L 10-1 pickups. I love the tone I'm getting with that set up. Hope this helps. Robert
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 8:45 am    

I replaced the reverb tank in my Steel King with a Mod brand unit and the reverb was night and day improved. Discussion here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2607228&sid=caac669d50a9fe79b2ed1891644cc95c
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mark E Smith

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2022 4:47 am    

Thanks, y'all, for your replies. And thanks, John, for clearing up YMMV; I remember that now. I did email an inquiry into Fender customer service/tech support and the response was as follows: "Do you have recommended settings for a Fender Steel-King? There is none. The settings/EQ should be set to your own liking and taste." So, thank you all for clearing this up for me.

Mark E Smith

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2022 4:54 am    

Greg, it never occurred to me to replace the reverb tank; I didn't know that could be done. Thanks for the heads-up!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2022 5:39 am    

In some venues, I can set all the tone controls straight up and just use the EQ TILT control to adjust the tone.

Here is what I end up with in most venues, though.

EQ Tilt: 10 or 11 o'clock
Treble: around 11 o'clock
Mid Level: 10 or 11 o'clock
Mid Frequency: 12 or 1 o'clock
Bass: 1 o'clock

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2022 11:46 am     Re: Fender Steel-King

Mark E Smith wrote:
Would anybody know the basic PSG settings for a Steel-King? I mostly use my Peavey Nashville 112 to learn and practice with. When I first bought the Steel-King about 12-14 years ago, I had to take it in to Fender repair twice because the reverb didn't work at all. They fixed it; said it was a faulty wire installed on the production line. Anyway, I'd like to use it, if for no other reason, because it's just sitting collecting dust. I did buy a Holy Grail reverb unit because of comments I've seen on the Forum about the Steel-King.

Mark
noon EVERYTHING then the EQ Tilt set at 12:00 then turn tilt clockwise from that point for a more treble overall sound or counterclockwise from 12 for more of a bass heavy sound. Its a super all around amp for acoustic as well and I also run my Les Paul and high gain distortion pedals into it at home for Metallica type stuff as well.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 7:13 pm     Fender Steel King

I love mine and wished I had another one. Buddy Emmons said it was one of the best “out of the box” amps he ever played.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2022 12:21 am    

Good luck. I hated Mine and basically felt like I was forever tweaking all the knobs to try to find some thing of which I never did. But lots of people love them obviously. But I would say there’s definitely some of us we never got to that place so if you keep tweaking it and can’t find something inspiring you are not the only one that just hates that amplifier.

I hope you do find your settings though! But from what I remember setting that I would find in my room at home vrs what I would find when playing with other people just meant tons of tweaking knobs once again. And never being totally satisfied. Lots of love on this thread for those amplifiers I’m glad, legitimately glad, that everyone loves theirs. But I pray I never have to play through one again and would be happy if I’ve never actually see one again.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2022 12:22 am    

And waiting for the 3….2….1…“Well buddy loved his”

so I must be wrong post.

🤣

David Denney

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 11:49 am     Steel King

So Josh what did you replace the Steel King with?