The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Bar issue
Stan Joyce

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 10:12 am    

Hello,

I have an issue with the pedal bar on a Pre RP Mullen D10. There is a space between the pedal bar and the leg collar on which makes the pedal height too low. I have adjusted the ball joints all the way and still too low. What could I use as a spacer to raise the height of my pedals?

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 10:48 am    

Pictures would help, but the leg collars should be right on top of the pedal bar to keep it from climbing, and the height adjusted with the leg clutches..
Set the collars, loosen the clutches, put your foot on the pedal bar and lift the front of the guitar. The pedals will rise exponentially!
Hope this answers the question. 👍

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 7:37 am    

Everything Dave said, plus -
Maybe the rubber feet on the bottom of the legs are worn out. Try replacing those. If you play on carpet, put a piece of 1/4” plywood or other hard surface, or even a plastic mat over it. There should definitely not be a space between the leg collars and pedal bar, unless the pedal bar screws on to a threaded stud mounted on the lower leg.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 8:03 pm    

Have you tried swapping the front and rear legs? (You may have the wrong legs on the front.)

Also, raising the pedal bar would actually lower the pedals, since the pedal rods would act as a pivot. Does the pedal bar move when you press the pedals?

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 8 Jul 2022 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 9:16 pm    

I have a Pre RP Mullen ( '94 ). On other steels, I have always adjusted the legs so the pedal bar is held between the adjustment collar and the rubber foot. On the Mullen, the leg won't shorten enough to allow this. The inner part of the leg simply won't go in far enough--hits a hard stop. To keep the pedal bar against the adjustment collar, and avoid pedaling causing the pedal bar to drop and climb, I have to tighten the pedal bar clamps REALLY, REALLY TIGHT. It works, but seems like a design flaw. Confused

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 10:23 pm    

Did you buy the steel new? Have you taken the legs apart?

Someone may have put a dowel rod inside the leg for more height and some spacers for the pedal bar got lost along the way.

For a quick try, Cut a piece of wood proper length to fit between the pedal bar and leg clutch and tape it in place with with duct tape.

When you find the right height take the leg to a hardware store and find a sleeve of either metal or plastic that will replace the wood block for a permanent fix.

Stan Joyce

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 8:58 am    

this is an older pre RP D10. It is on carpet. I will try that. Yes, it does slip and tightening it is ok but pedals are low to the floor after adjusting the pedal rod connectors which wont tighten any more. I can order the different feet which worked on my older wooden neck S10 but unless I crank it tight, it will slip which is annoying, especially at a gig. I have a Mullen D10 G2 which is fine and I use it on playing out gigs but I had to change to a S10 because of my knee and ankle issues. The D10 older Mullen is set up at home for wood shedding and learning new material. I will try placing a mat on the carpet and see how that works. I appreciate all of your comments which are very helpful. I will also try the leg swap. I bought the Pre RP D10 at an Auction and there were pieces missing ( changer springs). For the S10, I bought some high collar cane tips which helped but didnt stop the slip untl I wrenched down on the wing nut.My G2 has these collar clamps for the front legs which are nice.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 8:36 pm    

recent thread about cleaning the clutches https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3092384

and I could send you some aluminum sleeves that fit between PB and knurled clutch lock ring, it's just generic tubiung from onlinemetals.com or metalsupermarket.com or one of those places