The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peterson StroboPlus HD Sweetened Tunings
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2022 6:13 pm    

Are any of the sweetened tunings for E9 that come from the factory in the StroboPlus HD the same as the standard sweetened tuning that came in the VSII? If so, which one? I have a VSII, a Stobo Flip and a StroboPlus HD. I am satisfied with the sweetened tuning in the VSII which I think is the Jeff Newman tuning I have used even since I first found it, but I like the display on the SbroboPlus HD better.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 2:09 am    

From what I see, they are not exactly the same. May be wrong, but I'm using my own "JE9" which is the Newman sweetened opens and pedal/knees in one program.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 4:42 am    

Jack, that sounds like what I’m looking for. I’d like to be able to tune with either of the 3 tuners & be near the same. I’d like to be able to leave the HD packed with the gigging stuff. Do I understand right that I can somehow download your tuning into the HD from the Peterson site?

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 5:20 am    

A trusted mentor told me to just tune everything with OM9 , open, pedals and knees. Supposedly the original Newman tuning offset. I'm just a beginner but it's working for me.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 5:27 am    

Try the MA9 tuning. Works with open strings and pedals.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 6:45 am    

OE9 is the original Newman opens ref to 440hz. I don't what OM9 is.

In the Peterson steel tunings in the HD-C tuner, Jeff Newman's name has been replaced with Peterson. Same for the Emmons tunings, they are Peterson Emmons Style.

User programs can be accessed at Peterson: https://www.petersontuners.com/sweeteners/shared/

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 7:25 am    

I tried a bunch of the presets on the Peterson site, I settled on Jacks JE9 a year or so ago. It works the best on my steel.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 7:22 pm    

Diddo on the MA9 sweetener. That is Micky Adams tuning that works for open strings and pedals. My steel has Never been as in tune as Iafter I started using that tuning and I tried all the other Peterson sweeteners over the years.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 4:19 am    

I’ m not looking for the best tuning although I certainly don’t mind the post taking that direction. I started 35 yrs ago with a Jeff Newman chart & a Boss TU 12 H tuner. Then I got a VSII. It’s sweetened tuning was very similar. Then on to a Stoboflip. It’s default sweetened tuning was very similar. Then to the StroboPlus HD. It’s default sweetened tuning is not that similar. Is there a tuning already loaded from the factory in the HD that would align with the VSII & Stroboflip? I guess I’m being lazy, I thought someone might know. I want to be able to pick up any one of the three tuners & get close to the same result.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 4:34 pm    

Ok guys, my bad. I got off my lazy butt and checked it out. The SE9 on the HD matches up very well with the other tuners. It's the SP9 that is different. If I tune the levers and pedals to the SE9 instead, it matches up with the other tuners. I think that will work good enough for me. Thanks for your input. If I get real industrious in the future I may try Mr. Stoners tuning. Thanks

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2022 11:07 am    

Hi Danny,
The SE-9 is for the open strings and the SP (pedals)9 is for the levers and pedals. to tune the pedals you have to switch programs. Very Happy

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 3:33 am    

Yessir Mr. Carroll, I was aware of that but it’s the SP9 part of it that doesn’t align with my other tuners. If I were just using the HD, I would probably use the SP9 & may at some point. Thanks

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 3:44 pm    

Danny Letz wrote:
I’ m not looking for the best tuning although I certainly don’t mind the post taking that direction. I started 35 yrs ago with a Jeff Newman chart & a Boss TU 12 H tuner. Then I got a VSII. It’s sweetened tuning was very similar. Then on to a Stoboflip. It’s default sweetened tuning was very similar. Then to the StroboPlus HD. It’s default sweetened tuning is not that similar. Is there a tuning already loaded from the factory in the HD that would align with the VSII & Stroboflip? I guess I’m being lazy, I thought someone might know. I want to be able to pick up any one of the three tuners & get close to the same result.

The OE9 and OP9 sweeteners are based on Jeff Newman's original tuning. I would have expected that those would best align with what you've been using for the past 35 yrs. It might be a pain, but if your goal is to have the HD match your VSII and Stroboflip, you could tune with one of them and then measure the offsets. If they're different than OE9 and OP9, it's easy to design your own custom sweetener on the HD.

I don't know how the VSII works, but the HD doesn't actually display offsets. Peterson does have a clunky workaround, but I find it easier to use a free phone app
like PitchLabPro to display frequencies and offsets.