The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amplifier For Acoustic/Electric Guitar
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 9:50 am    

A friend of mine is in the market for an amplifier for his acoustic/electric flat-top guitar.

He is looking at Mesa/Boogie Rosette (Pricey!) and Fishman Loudbox (Not As Pricey.)

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

~Lee

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 11:21 am    

I picked up a used Mesa Rosette 2x8" a few months ago. I really like it. Very solid, 2-channel amp with each channel containing a 1/4" input with 1 MOhm input impedance, and one of the channels with an XLR input suitable for either a guitar mic or vocal mic. Good 4-band EQ: Bass, Low-Mid, High-Mid, and Treble. Bass/Treble gain-only, Low-Mid and High Mid are semi-parametric with both gain and frequency selection. Good-sounding switchable hall reverb, room reverb, and combined reverb/chorus settings with enough parameters to get anything I'd want for acoustic guitar.

Like many Mesas, there are a lot of other switches and controls. Unlike some Mesas I've had, which required quite a bit of 'dial-in' time, the controls are intuitive and I find it easy to dial in a good sound with various acoustics I have, either flattop or archtop. Actually, makes a pretty nice jazz guitar amp if you want a clean jazz archtop sound.

I also really like the XLR input for a vocal mic. I found vocal reproduction pretty natural with a decent mic, and I wouldn't hesitate to use this for vocals on a gig in an appropriate setting. I actually might be inclined to use it as a vocal monitor and send that to the house instead of going to the house direct, but I haven't tried that yet. I sometimes dislike what sound people do to my low voice. I can dial out the mud and the honk with this amp pretty well. At 300 Watts, it can get pretty loud.

I've owned several acoustic guitar amps. I had a Marshall (I forget model but similar to AS50D), a Fender Acoustisonic (larger version), AER, and an Acoustic Image Clarus (I forget which version, but not one of the super-high power ones). I've played a couple of Fishman Loudbox amps, but never bought one. All were actually pretty good for acoustic guitars. The Marshall was actually OK and used examples can be had pretty inexpensively - I think I paid $225 for mine, and it did the job at the time. But they're all long gone, I really like the Rosette.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 1:55 pm    

Not being a working musician, I'll defer to those who are, but a couple years back a cousin came to visit, and brought his (mid priced) A/E guitar. We had a jam at a sister in laws house, and I took him my Twin with the SRO 15 to play through. He sounded great!
I guess everything sounds good through a Twin.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 7:08 pm    

I use my Fishman Loudbox Mini for a lot of gigs. It's especially nice for solo stuff with one mic, one guitar, decent EQ and reverb on both channels, practical inputs and outputs, simple, reliable, lightweight.

It's pretty common for local singer-songwriters to use one of these plus a single powered PA cabinet for a happy hour gig. And for a full-band gig, plug in your acoustic guitar and use the XLR out to patch into the house PA system. I'd also recommend the padded carrying bag for easy, protected transport.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 4:51 am    

Fishman is very popular and gives good results. I recently went on a mission to get a good tone and easy carry option. I already have a Shertler jam 100, Roland AC60, Fender Acoustasonic Junior and a Crate CA125. I found the new Fender Acoustic Junior 100. It's small, 2 channel and sounds great. Not to be confused with the Acoustasonic amp. Mine is a $399.00 that was sale priced at 299 shipped. I'm very satisfied with it on a Taylor 814CE, Martin D18 and some Takamine A/E guitars.
My Roland AC60 sounds great with an added small bass amp or powered 12 speaker, but that's extra gear.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 3:14 pm    

Thank you for your replies.

I have passed your info along to my buddy.

~Lee