The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  **Anyone Re-paint White Rick "Panda" Panels?**
Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 11:38 pm    

Ryan Matzens advice above is good on spraying
You have stripped off all the existing paint?
No need to key the metal with sanding, But a wipe with solvent a few minutes before spraying is good to remove any fingerprints/ body oils.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 10:00 am     Re: Paint

Mark Helm wrote:
Brian Cheetham wrote:
Someone else mentioned this too but I highly recommend Rust-o-leum white appliance paint. It’s paint + epoxy and gives you a really smooth and durable finish. Spray it on in light coats so you don’t have drips

Brian! I bought a can tonight. Any advice on how light, many coats, and how long to dry in-between. I'm going to have to do it outside in the evening when it cools off (I'm in TN) and bring it in where is cool (ish) to dry between coats.

Also: Do I need to sand the panels any, or will they hold the paint/epoxy?

Thanks!

I had sent you a PM. But, in case you didn’t get it… Read the instructions on the can that you purchased. The instructions should explain the drying time for in between coats. They should also tell you the min and max temperature range that you can spay within. I have found that you can usually spray up until it’s about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The number of light coats will vary. You keep adding coats until you achieve complete and uniform coverage. Basically, you keep adding coats until it looks good. And, obviously, if you are doing this outside, you will want to do your painting away from dusty areas. And, you will want to paint in an area that limits the chances of anything accidentally dropping on your fresh paint. Any minor imperfections can be polished out by hand after the paint has fully cured.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 12:54 pm    

Also try and do it very early evening. The later it gets, the more humid it gets. When done painting, I would bring them inside to dry. You don't need dew forming on them.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 8:28 am     Chickened Out

...I was worried I'd screw it up, so I paid a guy to match the color as best as possible and apply an enamel coating/paint. He didn't charge much and did a perfect job.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 9:36 am    

Baaaak, baaaak, baaaak! Let's see a pic.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 10:01 am     For Sale

I just put it up for sale, Bill (check it out)... Didn't wanna risk messing it up as I knew I had to sell it--I got 2 kids in college now, so you can imagine. They're with me now and eating me out of house and home (but I love it!) Laughing . He didn't charge a lot, at least!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 12:40 pm    

OK.......it looks great Mark. The painter did a really nice job. I read your add.......very commendable you telling any buyer what was wrong and what was fixed. Good luck selling it, it certainly is a darn nice lap steel. Hope I didn't ride you too much! Very Happy Still Friends???? Question

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 12:41 pm     Always, Bill!!!

You da man!!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 12:48 pm    

Wink Very Happy Wink

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 11:09 pm     Billy Boieeee!

Bill, we'll ALWAYS be friends. You have give me much great advice over the years and I value your friendship greatly. Thanks for encouraging me. Next time, I'm taking on the project myself!