The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite Steel Guitar Player
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 7:55 am    

"I plan to be a part of all this for as long as I am able."

Which will be a very long time I hope Rick... Wishing you all the best from upstate NY...bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 8:17 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Bob Carlucci wrote:

I agree completely, Bob. Y'know it's kinda funny. Over the years people have remarked on what they call "my style" (one player even posted once that he was "studying" my style.). This has often led me to wonder what the heck is my style and where did it come from? I sure couldn't describe it myself.

But I eventually concluded that my so-called "style" is the result of all the influences I've had as a player (and generally in music) over the decades, and especially the many steel guitarists whose lines & solos I loved enough to try to copy, either for a cover gig, or just to figure out how they played it. Take all of that and filter it all through my technical limitations and what comes out the back end is, voila!... My "Style"! [Actually, it's been remarked more than a few times that my 'style' sounds like "what comes out the back end"... Laughing Embarassed] So when someone tells me they like my style, I genuinely do appreciate it and I thank them but part of me is secretly thinking they just said "I really like the way you limp." Laughing

But two of the biggest factors in my resulting 'style' are my "ears" and my "chops", both of which have limitations that are painfully obvious to me. If I could 'hear' what those cats were doing and had the skill set to execute anything I hear, then, yeah, my style would be very different.

Unless we live in utter darkness and obscurity, I think we all take bits and pieces from those who went before us and even our contemporaries that shape our style.

I've had "Knowing Ears" suggest I sound like Randy Beavers, and Buddy, and mentioned in the same breath as Travis and Jody, all of which makes me question how knowing those ears actually are Laughing . And though folks have told me they can pick "My Style" out in a crowd, for that I apologize Embarassed

IF I could play like any of those guys "On Purpose" I would, but my ears and technical prowess puts an end to that pretty quick. I think to a degree we ALL play what we hear in our heads and are able to find on the neck, provided our hands allow us to play it.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 11:42 am    

NOTHNG is wrong if it makes you happy.

You're not playing to impress other steel players (if you are - don't) You're playing for the listener(s). If the only listener is you and YOU like it:

Ding!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 12:08 pm    

Bill,
It's your steel guitar and when you sit behind it you are in charge. Not anyone else!
If you like to play and sound like Lloyd Green, then, just do it. It really doesn't matter what anybody thinks. It's the music/ sound that you like. So have at it.
I've been playing for a long time and have many steel favorite players. I couldn't choose just one and I try to play what they do, that, appeals to me.
However, no matter what style you chose, YOUR style will eventually rise to the top and blend in with the rest. In a sense, it's a perfect match for you.
Good luck and enjoy yourself picking!

Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 5:04 pm     Bill Sutton

Hi Bill, When I started Playing there was no Teachers around and had to copy from records and slow down as much as i could to try and grasp what they were doing. If copying off the Greats had helped you Good. To me You are A Great Player and one of my FAVORITES.. Stay Well My Brother....Eddie

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 5:51 pm    

I echo the sentiments of all the previous posts. When I listen to you play I don't compare it to anyone. Instead I hear the depth of your talent and skills as I immerse myself in the beauty of the music. I try to visualize the bar position, pedals and levers used and get a sense of the way you think about melody. You have nothing to apologize for. I subscribed to your channel long ago and appreciate all the amazing music you post.I applaud your ability to play with such emotion. Thank you Bill Sutton.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2022 1:25 pm    

I have had to learn songs that the big name steelers recorded on the sessions. I learned note for note. At least I thought so. I don't play most songs as they were recorded because I can't. I play what my head and hands are capable of. I was reminded by a great steeler player and technician, Billy Knowles, that unless Lloyd, Buddy or any of big guys were in the audience, the average folks don't know the difference. Russ Hicks has mentioned that he "always liked what I was trying to play"!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2022 2:00 pm    

If I have to pick a "favorite, it would be John Hughey. John and Jerry Garcia were the first 2 that I knew was a steel guitar. Jerry told me what a pedal steel guitar was. And I met John in the mid 70"s and stayed long distance "friends until his death.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 3:29 pm     Re: Favorite Steel Guitar Player

Bill Sutton wrote:
Is It wrong to try to play like your favorite Steel Guitar player. Im 70 years old and have nothing to do...but play my Steel Guitar...that is when I am able to sit in the seat long enough to play through A whole song. I play for my pleasure...as well as those around me. I dont try to sell music or play for a living...I just love to pick my Steel Guitar. I love Lloyd Green and I dont have anything to lose for trying to play like him...but I get A lot of bad talk from some people...that I should not try to copy another Steel picker. Anyone ever had this problem...Just curious.

No, but if I ever do I have a message for them that can be summed up in only words.

I don't even have a favorite steel player, Its like asking me wich of my brothers, or sisters is my favorite.

I know hundreds of steel players and I have tried to heist a lick or two from every one of them. I don't hang with the type of people that would criticize me for that!

BTW, I have been a fan of Lloyd Green for many years and would love to be able to play any thing at all in the manner he does! That is not going to happen, ever, I have accepted that, but i will keep on trying. If that is upsetting to anyone....TFB!
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 4:00 pm    

I have said many times I am a "Steeler" since I steal licks from everyone I can. Me personally, I know that I am not creative enough to play like so many have but sure give it a whirl. The one thing I like is no two people sound alike or play alike. We all have our strengths and weaknesses but there have been some finding a weakness sure was difficult to do. I have so many players that have inspired me to play steel guitar and I sure do not know what I would have done without it all these years.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 10:14 am    

Just play and enjoy your Steel Guitar. I had several favorite Steel Guitarists that I tried to play like and Lloyd Green was one of them. My first Pedal Steel Guitar was bought knowing that it was just like his. He became a friend of mine later. He is a Master Steel Guitarist! He is a Great Guy too. You just continue to play music and enjoy your Steel Guitar! You got a lot of us Steel Guitarists just like you. My best to You! GOD bless You!

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 10:28 pm    

Paul King wrote:
I have said many times I am a "Steeler" since I steal licks from everyone I can. Me personally, I know that I am not creative enough to play like so many have but sure give it a whirl. The one thing I like is no two people sound alike or play alike. We all have our strengths and weaknesses but there have been some finding a weakness sure was difficult to do. I have so many players that have inspired me to play steel guitar and I sure do not know what I would have done without it all these years.

I am all the time heisting licks from you! Always good to talk to you, thanks for the direction you have given me my friend!

John
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 3:37 am    

My favorites would be Greg Leisz and Eric Heywood.
Greg is sort of the go to guy for anything more alternative and not the typical country style. He's played with everyone from Ryan Adams to Bon Iver and Daft Punk.
Eric's playing on Son Volt's early records is some of the most tastful playing I've ever heard and his newer work with various singer-songwriters continues in the vein of fitting the song perfectly.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 7:44 am    

I talk A lot about Lloyd because I truly love him...and Lloyds music speaks for itself. I will never be able to play like Lloyd...but I will definitely try. If I could just play Lloyds mistakes...I would be very happy. But I want everyone to know that I love all the great steel guitar pros...Buddy Emmons...Steve Palousek...Tommy White...Paul Franklin...Doug Jernigan...Ricky Davis...Buck Reid...Just to name A few...and there are many more. And I have A lot of good friends here on this forum that are great Steel pickers as well as great people. Anyone of them are always ready to help anyone that ask them...I am lucky to have such good friends. So just to know...not just Lloyd but all the pro steel pickers are Amazing Wonderful Players.
Bill S.