I’m currently working on JM tuning;

G
E
C
A
G
E
C#
B (out of sequence, 1 half step lower than the high C string)

I’m looking for any infos, like exemple of single note lines and chords from Joaquin or Jeremy Wakefield or any other using this tuning.

Guy Cundell made a wonderful full job in this tread and it would be great to continue it I think. Any new stuff Guy?

Thanks!

Gregory LeBlanc

New England, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 7:19 pm    

I think Andy Volk published an entire book of this but I can't find it on his website. I have a copy somewhere but just moved so it's in the pile over everywhere and unlikely to be quickly located.

Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 1:24 am    

Mike Neer distributes a book of Joaquin's solos here: https://steelinstruction.com/?product=joaquin-murphey-classic-western-swing-steel-guitar-solos

I can't remember if they use this tuning and I don't have it to hand.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 2:50 am    

The book of Classic Western sWing solos by Joaquin that I did with John McGann uses standard C6th. the bottom strings aren't much of a factor for those early solos. Guy Cundell is doing a comprehensive book/paper on JM but it's understandably, slow going.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 3:42 am    

This is a great tuning with masses of potential for somebody to dig in real deep. I have an 8 string that I put the re-entrant B on the lower string. I can see that lots of fast runs can be made with picking patterns across the strings. Particularly the run G,A(B Re-entrant)C. So much music can be made from this and all with a straight bar so amazing speed licks can be achieved. On the chordal side similar options. I think I have the rest of the instrument tuned C13 so masses of chord options...7th, major 7, Anything that a C13 tuning can give plus so much more.
I am playing mainly 6 string and hawaiian music at the moment so do not play the 8 string. It would be interesting to see what somebody like Mike Neer could do with this tuning. A lot of work but I think so much in it to be unlocked. Good luck Jean- Sebastien. Interesting to see what you make of it!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 7:01 am    

Very interesting. I have a 1941 Kalamazoo 7-string that due to the 7th string slot in the bridge being narrower than the 6th, was obviously intended for a re-entrant string in the 7th position. I originally set it up in standard C6 with a re-entrant Bb for a C13, but am eager to raise the 6th and 7th strings a half-step and give this tuning a whirl. (Or 7/8 of it at least, lacking the high G.)

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 8:38 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Very interesting. I have a 1941 Kalamazoo 7-string that due to the 7th string slot in the bridge being narrower than the 6th, was obviously intended for a re-entrant string in the 7th position. I originally set it up in standard C6 with a re-entrant Bb for a C13, but am eager to raise the 6th and 7th strings a half-step and give this tuning a whirl. (Or 7/8 of it at least, lacking the high G.)

Nice lap steel!

It would also be easy to move the reentrant B up to a C, or down to an A, for reentrant versions of Jerry Byrd’s 7 string A7+C6 tuning.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 11:41 am    

Allan Revich wrote:
Nice lap steel!

Thank you, Allan. That's the one I was able to import out of Salt Spring Island, B.C. from right under your nose! I really like the little amp that came with it.

(Sorry Jean-Sebastien; didn't mean to hijack your post.)