The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Twin Reverb
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 5:22 pm    

This past weekend at the Oklahoma show a young player named Jack Phillips played a 65 Emmons through a Fender Twin Reverb. As a bit of a tone freak I was blown away by his tone and playing. Jack is obviously a Buddy Emmons protege and comes as close as you can get. But that combination of player, guitar and Fender Tube amp was beyond my expectations. Big round full bloom tone with depth and growl. The C6 selections were big and full. It made me come home and fire up my Twin Reverb and try to dial in some of that magic.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 2:06 am    

I've long ago given up trying to sound like any of my steel guitar heroes. I sound like me, whether it was with a 71 PP Emmons and a Twin Reverb, or with a Franklin or GFI and any of the Peavey steel amps or even a Quilter Travis Toy 12 amp.

I will say the Quilter TT12 is the best sounding steel amp I've had since the Twin Reverb.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 2:27 am    

Jack, I believe you and the Quilter is definitely a great amp. The 2nd best tone at the show was by Mike McGee playing a Zum D10 with a Peavey Nashville 400. The other amps played was Quilter Steelaire, and Travis Toy 12, Telonics TCA 500, Fender Steelking, Quilter 202, and Peavey Nashville 112.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 7:43 am    

You are not deceived, Larry, if it's tone you're after it's hard to beat a good push-pull Emmons steel and a proper AB763 Twin Reverb with either 2x12" or 1x15" JBL speakers.

Fender's reissued "65 Twin Reverb Amp" and "65 Twin Custom 15" feature this original circuit adapted to modern production methods. As such there have been a few compromises made but for the most part they are easily remedied. To my ear the current reverb tanks and "Fender Custom 15 by Eminence" speakers are decent, and easily replaced if an upgrade is desired.

The lower powered Fender AB763 amps - i.e. BF Deluxe Reverb, Vibroverb, Pro Reverb, Super Reverb, etc. - are among the most popular pedal steel recording amps of all time. I have used a lot of different rigs over the years, and all have their pros and cons but if I ever find something that makes me happier with the music you'll see me using it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 12:07 pm    

Dave, no doubt the Fender with JBLs is a monster tone machine. I bought a used 135w Ultra linear twin with JBLs in the 90s and it's a killer. Plus the weight is a killer too. I have another 85w twin that I rebuilt and it's no slouch either. I enjoy the tone at home now. The Tonemaster Twin is not a bad substitute and it gets close to that tone. The combination of the Emmons PP and that clean looking twin Jack played on was heavenly.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 4:08 pm    

Try using a PF350 (or two) with a Twin or (Dual) Showman.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 7:36 pm    

Paul, I have a few speakers to try. My old JBLs need reconed. The amps are so heavy I am reluctant to go with those. I have a Eminence Pro 12a and Cerwin Vega orange frame speaker in now and wow it's impossible to lift.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 9:06 pm    

I have one, a 2014 Custom 15, and it stays home for the same reason Larry's does (why, oh why didn't Leo offer a forklift option!Winking )

BUT....
I have an an outdoor gig tomorrow, so now I'm thinking about doing some heavy lifting.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 6:51 am    

Dave, what speaker is in your Custom? How would you compare it to the 2x12?

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 9:04 am    

Larry, it's the stock factory speaker,an Eminence(I think) JBL clone. Sounds fine to me. Years ago I had a 2-12 non-reverb Super Twin, that as I recall did OK for steel, but I don't remember anything specific.

I've thought a little about replacing the stock speaker with some kind of Neo-type, but not sure what that would sound like or even if it would save enough weight to make the amp usable without an aftermarket forklift.I even thought about getting a Tone-Master Twin and swapping the chassis into my Custom 15, but dealing with the Tone-Master's hardwired speaker connections is a little above my electronica pay grade, so for now the Milkman PS300 goes to work and the Custom 15 stays home.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 9:19 am    

Thanks Dave. I have a Tonemaster Twin and it definitely solved the weight problem. Tone is decent and close enough for my use. I considered cutting one of my Twins into split cabinets. I may just build a head cabinet and try that.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 8:48 pm    

Just remember that with any tube amp they WILL need periodic service - and if you buy ANY tube amp over 15 years old don't even turn it on - tke it straight to a qualified tube amp tech and have it checked to make sure the filter and bias capacitors have been changed - and if not - change them!

They have a service life of 15 years, and if one blows it can take out your (very expensive!) power transformer. Almost 1/3 of my amp repairs are fixing newly-purchased older tube amps that the buyer just HAD to test - and pffffft! No sound and a lot of smoke.

Even if someone tells you "oh, it doesn't need that done - it sounds fine" do it! They can sound great right before they cook off.

And if it's a VINTAGE amps from the 60's or 70's with original tubes DON'T change them unless you absolutely have to. My 60' Twin, '61 Showman and '66 Deluxe reverb all have original tubes that still work great.

It's only when you get to the newer - and more cheaply made - Chinese and Russian tubes that tube life is a real issue. Virtually all the Russian tubes are made at the Expol plant in a Russian/New Sensor partnership (Sovtek, Electroharmonix, Groove Tubes, new Tung Sol and Mullards. JJ's are made in the Czech republic, but don't hold up like original GE's, Sylvanias, RCA's, ORIGINAL Mullards and Tung Sols etc.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 6:49 am    

I shlepped my Twin Reverb for 18 years. I tried some other lighter amps but kept coming back to the Twin because it was the one that inspired me. After many speaker experiments I finally settled on an Altec 418b. Magic in a Twin! I had mine customized with a tweed tone stack in the normal channel, reverb/vib on both channels, half power switch, multi ohm transforemer and my tech friend substituted different resistors into the tone cicuit while I played until we had dialed in the sound I wanted. It's now pretty much retired to the basement, as am I.