The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dan Dugmore on Riche Furay's NEW album
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 1:39 am    

Richie has a new album coming out in early July, Nashville produced and it may be one of the best LP's coming out of Nashville in years. Dan Dugmore on Steel, Handsome Harry Stinson of harmony vocals. Its a collection of really well known Country Songs, though perhaps not considered traditional. Appearances by Vince Gil and Tim Schmidt. Being a lifelong fan of Richie I listen in amazement at how he can still perform at this level. Young new country artists may wanna listen to this and reset what it is they are doing ! This is Richie 60 years after the Springfield and Poco !

Here's Walkin in Memphis , its really friggin' good ! Add perfect Steel by Dan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYABmmum2Hs

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 2:21 am    

Great song, and band, this is especially nice since Richie said he was retiring, I don't know if he will tour anymore, but the album is a great surprise.

Tony, I think we should start calling Mr. Dugmore 'Steely Dan' Smile

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 3:38 am    

Tony, thank you for your post and the link. I’ve been a fan of Richies for a very long time as well as everything Dan Dugmore has ever played on and “Walking In Memphis” is one of my favorites. The entire track was performed beautifully and tastefully by all. Looking forward to purchasing the complete CD.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 3:39 am    

Craig Stock wrote:
Great song, and band, this is especially nice since Richie said he was retiring, I don't know if he will tour anymore, but the album is a great surprise.

Tony, I think we should start calling Mr. Dugmore 'Steely Dan' Smile

Well apparently he is still going to tour, especially if the new album is doing well. His web shows several dates and says MORE dates to be added. I sure hope so, I'll go (within reason of course) to a show .

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 5:06 am    

This is truly great. His “Deliverin’ Again” show was pretty amazing and clearly he’s in great form still. What a blessing this man is to us all.... and Dan’s as tasty as ever. Thanks for posting it Tony.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 6:03 am    

Wow,so good. What a voice backed up by the best BGV's and musicians.Dan plays to the song.Perfection.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 12:37 pm    

As I watch this video, my mind kinda wanders. There's many greats that hit the studio's and players get called for the sessions. I just wonder what these fine players/singers thought when they got a call to be IN SESSION with Richie Furay .

Heres another track they released, this is actually the first one, No Steel though, a Keith Urban tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqM6Cnwhrm4

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 3:26 pm    

Here the video about the new album….. More snips of the songs and more Dan. I can’t wait!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=rTekRqNBLSA&feature=emb_logo
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 1:54 am    

thx for posting that clip Mike. In our SMALL world, I don't think many realize or recognize just how significant Richie was , or today , even know who he is. I personally think he was overshadowed in the Springfield, it would be real difficult to stand tall next to Stills and Young. Poco, as good as it was or as good as they were, they were leaning Country perhaps at the wrong time. Fans loved them but not enough fans. Then add at the same time Stills and Young were already going a different direction which captured the entire music community. CSN then CSN+Y, Poco was now competing . As the song says, were they Country or were they Rock and Roll ?

I was able to see Poco a few times and they were incredible . They brought a real freshness to the stage, then went into Acoustic sets right in the middle of it all. Each show I attended was jam packed, not a seat left in the house , so the fans were their, but the AIRPLAY was not. Another thing totally overlooked was the dual unison vocals and harmonies of Richie and Timothy. This may have been influenced by John and Paul, but those two voices together are iconic, even today. Perhaps many didn't recognize it. I can tell ya this , Messina did, because he followed the same formula with Loggins.

If it wasn't for the Springfield bringing in Rusty on RF's song, KIND WOMAN, I don't think I would have considered playing Steel. While many of us here were influenced by the great Steel players of the era, I was not one of them. I came in to Country Music thru the back door , POCO led me to Country Music. Apparently many others as well. I learned who Lloyd and Buddy were after the fact ! LOL...

While I don't claim to be some sort of highly skilled or top tier player, I do know where my roots are. I am questioned very often why I have such a wide vocabulary of music under my belt and bring to the bandstand, its an easy answer for me. My roots are PRE Country Music , Everly's, Elvis , Ricky Nelson, British R+R, Blues , Stones, etc-- Before I was captured by the Springfield then POCO , which opened the door to Country. Those early RF songs, the high tenor, the harmonies and vocal orchestrations, Rusty on Steel, Messina on Tele etc...I just added those influences to what I was already doing .

I read somewhere years back, it may have been the POCO 2-CD Forgotten Trail insert, Glen Fry was hanging out at Poco rehearsals early on, even wanted to be in the band. Apparently he was paying attention to the vocals and Harmony orchestrations.

I hope this new album that RF is doing along with those incredible hand picked session players strikes a nerve, County Music or whatever the heck they are calling it these days needs a real hard swift KICK in the BUTT !

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 2:13 am    

boy he look and sounds great doesn't he?,, Hasn't lost a bit of that majestic voice he had 50+ years ago.. He has been blessed thats for certain.. He is probably my favorite male vocalist of all time.....

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 4:24 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
boy he look and sounds great doesn't he?,, Hasn't lost a bit of that majestic voice he had 50+ years ago.. He has been blessed thats for certain.. He is probably my favorite male vocalist of all time.....

Agree Bob, one of the most iconic voices on record. Man he could hit some high notes way back without falsetto !

To me there's a select group of voices we hear where we know who it is immediately, RF is one of them for sure. Very Happy

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 4:38 am    

And look who produced it: Val Garay. He's still at it. I was reading interviews with him back in 1981 when I started my career as a recording engineer/producer. He produced Ronstadt, Orleans, James Taylor, Nicolette Larsen, and many more.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 5:38 am    

Tony, your comments on RF, BS, and Poco are so right on. And Richie has such a range! This cut of “Memphis” even hints at some Paul Karrick soul. Wow, what a singer.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 3:12 pm    

And don't forget the great vocals of drummer George Grantham, Rusty and Paul Cotton, such a great lineup of talent, one of my all-time favorite bands, even in the later years.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 7:51 pm    

Ok, here’s the deal…. As soon as I hit the lottery, I’ll book a floor of rooms somewhere central, then get all of us Poco appreciators airline tickets for about a week, where we can bring our instruments and pick and talk endlessly about this “little” band that has influenced us so.

I’m fairly serious…. Laughing

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 1:50 am    

Mike Bacciarini wrote:
Ok, here’s the deal…. As soon as I hit the lottery, I’ll book a floor of rooms somewhere central, then get all of us Poco appreciators airline tickets for about a week, where we can bring our instruments and pick and talk endlessly about this “little” band that has influenced us so.

How about do it in Charlotte NC so you can save at least ONE plane ticket ? Very Happy

If ya think about it, this is not so far fetched, there are gatherings for all sorts of stuff, why not a POCO convention ?

Maybe George, Jimmy, Timothy and Richie will attend ?

There are worse idea's floating around out there !

I'm totally serious ! Laughing

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 3:11 am     Great

He's still got it....good stuff.Now if Jim Messina could jump in there..

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 4:43 am    

Outstanding! Thanks for posting this news Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 10:19 am    

Old guys rule!

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 7:23 pm    

I still get chills listening to Furay's vocals on "Kind Woman" and "On the Way Home" -- thanks for the heads up on the new album, will definitely check it!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 6:36 am    

Mike Bacciarini wrote:

I’ll take “fairly serious” as good enough for me. No lottery winning needed. Make it a convention and call it Hardly Strictly Poco. A good central location? Howbout Cimarron Kansas? Not far from Ingalls, where Rose was born. We could take over the town for 3 days 😎

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 12:14 pm    

and yet another video release I Hope You Dance, the Lee Ann Womack tune.
https://youtu.be/5qwlheNznQQ

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2022 2:56 pm    

Nice moment of him cutting a little loose near the end. I was waiting for it the whole song and knew it was coming.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 2:20 am    

Doesnt get any better than that, Thanks again!

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2022 12:53 pm    

Here a cut really showcasing Dan’s nice steel work….

Your Love Amazes Me
https://www.wsmv.com/video/2022/06/22/richie-furay-performs-your-love-amazes-me/