The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI is Ridiculous
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 10:45 am    

A few anecdotes. I bought a keyless S-10 Ultra recently, because I wanted a guitar I could grab with one hand and run. Before its arrival, I emailed GFI with the serial number. Less than eight hours later I had a reply, specifying the exact date of completion of this sixteen year old guitar, and some details about construction I'd requested.

Guitar arrives. Setup is not my usual. Ordered three pull trains and two knee lever flags. Total was less than $75.00, including postage. Arrived less than 48 hours later. Everything installed as easily as I had anticipated.

Couple weeks later, was having some issues with a keyless tuner: pulled the head off. One brass lug stripped in a tuning lever. Sent a picture to Bob at GFI, who said he could ship me a lug, but it might be a pain to get seated properly, and if I liked, I could ship the whole head to him to repair. Lemme tell ya, I leaped at that opportunity. The head arrived back here 48 hours post confirmation of receipt from GFI. I was informed it was a warranty repair, with no charge, and there was a check enclosed to cover my shipping cost to Missouri. This is a sixteen year-old guitar. I have no idea how many people have owned it before me. And it was a warranty repair. Wow!

I have had some wonderful experiences dealing with people in the steel guitar "industry." (Here's looking at you, Peterson and Mullen and Telonics and Bradshaw and Beard and others!) GFI has exceeded my expectations every time I've ever interacted with them, and I thought they needed a shout-out.

Thanks, Bob!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 12:43 pm    

Impressive.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 1:42 pm    

I've had some dealings with Bob and they have all been positive. Kudos to GFI.

Tim Walker

Santa Clarita, CA (originally U.K.)
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 2:32 pm    

I've had similarly outstanding experiences with Bob at GFI!

John Sohn

Fort Wayne, IN
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 2:50 pm    

I have to jump in here as well. I have also had nothing but excellent service from GFI.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 2:59 pm     Me too.

Great service, great product.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 3:11 pm    

I too have obtained spare parts for an old guitar with great speed and no fuss.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 6:10 pm    

Both the GFI's I own were bought 2nd or more handed. A friend who lives within 5 miles of me bought 1 new from Billy Cooper, The other I don't have its pedigree.

I have called GFI about things I was going to do to either of my guitars and they were great answering questions.
I have ordered several parts from GFI, Within 3 days they are in my mail box or hanging on my mail box.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 7:27 pm    

I have also had great customer service experiences with GFI. Helpful on the phone, fast parts at reasonable prices. And my GFI is smooth, solid, stable, versatile, easy to work on, and great-sounding. Top-notch company with a very well-engineered line of instruments.

Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 5:14 am    

I second this 100%!!! GFI is the most efficient operation there is and they have been the tortoise to the hare for many years. It takes a lot of guts to be an innovator and they have carved their own path with no baubles or trinkets! I hands down consider the GFI to be the most affordable, dependable and practical pro level steel out there, not to mention they are the easiest steel to work on / repair / customize ever built! Bob at GFI is a stand up guy to boot!

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 5:39 am    

Dr. Pippus,
Bob at GFI is second to none when it comes service and continuing Gene’s creativity of designing one of the best pedal steels on the market. Gene had experience designing other well known brands before embarking on GFI student models and then his “futuristic” designed pro models in 1992. His first 10 pro model D-10s were quite different than latter models. I was fortunate enough to own the second one built and the first keyless D-10 built, both of which I foolishly parted with. But I’ve had the 8th D-10 model he built for many years and will never part with it. I’ve owned many great top name brand guitars, but none compare to my GFI.
Dave 🙂

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 7:39 am    

As far as I know, there is not a better person on the planet than Bob Diekmeir.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 12:08 pm    

Doug nailed it! I was in Bob`s shop in 2009 and had a great time and an outstanding service.
Another time i ordered a new guitar from him. Same experience, great business.
I wish more people had the class Bob Diekmeyer has.

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 7:20 pm     GFI is the Best

I can attest to all of the previous comments. Gene and Bob have set that bar really high. Bob D maintains that high level of Excellence. Thanks Bob for all of your support to the Pedal steel Community!!!!!!

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 7:21 pm     GFI is the Best

I can attest to all of the previous comments. Gene and Bob have set that bar really high. Bob D maintains that high level of Excellence. Thanks Bob for all of your support to the Pedal steel Community!!!!!!

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 7:27 pm    

Ditto. GFI reponds to questions and sends needed items quickly. Very positive.

K

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 5:45 am     GFI& Bob D.

Bob & GFI are a rare team for sure.They know how to get it done.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 6:45 am    

I totally agree!

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 8:35 am     Gfi

I can't say enough about Bob at GFI. He has helped over the phone several times. Last year I took my EXPO to him because I was having some problems with the changer. He took it apart right then and had it fixed in less then an hour. I asked how much I owed him. he said nothing. The steel has a lifetime warranty. Then he gave me some extra parts that I might need sometime. I was just amazed.

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 6:27 pm    

Bob has always been so communicative, friendly and helpful whenever I’ve reached out to him. I can’t recommend GFI enough.