The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power Amp shopping advice
Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 7:11 am    

I'm curious about and looking for a power amp for a live band setup. I was looking at the many different generations of the Peavey CS-800s. Any input or resources in this area is appreciated.

Ideally would like a 1RU or 2RU unit in the 800 - 1200 watt range. Hoping to spend around $300 on a used unit.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 2:42 pm    

If you can find a used qsc rmx2450 it's worth checking out. Built like a tank and heavy, will last. Puts out 500W/channel at 8 ohms (real watts not wishful thinking) A cx902 is much lighter and puts out about the same. I'm partial to qsc as they've always been reliable and their amps put out what they say.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 6:40 pm    

Thanks, Brad.
I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like QSC is a durable workhorse!

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 9:55 am    

I haven't gigged with this yet but so far am pleased with it. It's stereo 700 per side. There are different models that are mono with varying wattage for a lot less. >>> https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/powerstage-700
They say it's rackmount but it's actually smaller and they send along these extended rack ears you can put on. It's about 11 inches long and about 6.5 pounds. Lots of headroom. I've talked with people that played in bands with these for quite a while. They are built like a tank and seem to have a great track record. I was looking for complaints but couldn't find any.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 11:08 am    

I guess I should clarify a little. Looking for suggestions on a power amp to power passive PA speakers. for vocals, guitars, fiddles, mics, etc.

but that Seymour does seem pretty sweet!

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 12:08 pm    

Here's a great pa amp for passive speakers. I believe it's 500 watts per side. I'm not using it presently and would let it go for $300+ ship. It's chrome & looks cool in a rack too. a donation would go to the forum (I know this isn't the right place to sell gear but since you asked...)

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 1:06 pm    

Foster - That SD amp looks pretty sweet. I wasn't aware of it. Are any available used? I'll still stick with qsc as I'm comfortable with them. I think a lot has changed since I was seriously into PA systems!

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 1:40 pm    

My SD Powerstage was on backorder when I bought it but it seems I only had to wait a couple of weeks. I've never seen any of the 700s used but some of the other models pop up on Reverb and Ebay once in awhile. I never considered it as a pa amp. It's not as nice as a big heavy tube amp for guitar/steel but it's 6.5 pounds! I've only been using it with the Kemper which sounds outstanding but I bet it would be nice clean power for a tube pre-amp as well.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 2:36 pm    

I think i'll pass on the Stewart PA. Thank you for the offer tho Scott!

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 3:41 pm    

You're welcome Foster. I used to use it in a rack for steel. So it's a good backup for me.
These were really developed as a pa amp though.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 7:51 pm    

Look for a used Behringer INuke series power amp, I don’t believe they’re made anymore. They were very inexpensive when they were new so they should be pretty cheap used. For a Behringer product they are lightweight but have a ton of power and run easily on a 15 amp circuit. Our band had an iNuke 12000 which was 2 iNuke 6000’s in 1 chassis. That amp powered 4- 12” mid range speakers per side in a concert grade PA system and barely got warm. We were even running it at 2 ohm loads. That amp made a believer out of me.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 6:57 pm    

I would buy a power amp from a power amp company -- I think QSC is the biggest out there right now, still an independent US corporation, top notch company, quality products and a lot of experience building power amps. Also possibly Crown, but not sure who owns them now, I think it's Samsung. I would avoid buying any power amp from non-power-amp people like Peavey and Behringer. The QSC won't likely break, but if it does they will stand behind it.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 9:56 am    

Thanks everyone for the advice, I am on the hunt for a QSC. I have had lots of bad experiences with Behringer. I used to work at a music shop that supplied them. I feel about %20 of the speakers came back blown out, and every now and then a bad PA head. Then again, that was over 10 years ago now, and i hear they've upped the quality some.

I have a Nash 400, to trade if someones got the right power amp! its posted in the for sale section.