The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Mail Ads
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 9:41 am    

I've been ad free on my PC for several years using AdBlock on Firefox browser. Recently, both Att/Yahoo mail and MSN Outlook are hitting me with ads on my mail homepages.

I don't know if it's caused by something I've done, or they're just being more aggressive.

Appreciate any suggestions to at least mitigate if not prevent these annoying pop ups and banner ads. Free, simple, user friendly tools always preferable.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 12:42 pm    

E-mail SPAM, what you are getting, is unrelated to the browser and AD Block.

Some senders just flood e-mail addresses like the phone scammers with their autodialers dailing big blocks of numbers.

If you have bought on line and had to provide your e-mail some companies sell addresses.

Do a google search on "why am I getting so many spam emails"

I use a program, Mailwasher Pro, and it helps with SPAM and manual selection of messages before it gets into the PC.
https://www.firetrust.com/products/mailwasher-pro

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 7:12 am    

I don't believe that's the case. It's almost 100 per cent Yahoo. They even want to sell me an app to prevent these.

It's just one email at the top of the email list. I can open it, but it doesn't have the option to delete it. After the first one, I don't open them and they periodically change from say, Amazon, Capital credit for example. Just one email, not a bunch of them. Also an ad on the sidebar.

I believe these are all generated by Yahoo.

I was mistaken about Outlook, it's not happening there, just on Yahoo.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 8:37 am    

Happens to me on Yay-Hoo too. The first line is always an ad that can't be deleted. Actually, when you open the ad, there is a button to delete the ad, but as soon as you do, another ad pops up in it's place. It's been that way on mine for what seems like a year or more. It's a ploy for them to get you to buy the paid version of their email. It's just the price (Read: inconvenience) that we pay for using using free products.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 9:09 am    

Yeah, that's it exactly Richard. I've been using it for years but it just started within the last week or so. Thanks.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 5:59 am    

Just started happened to me too, on Hotmail. No way to delete. Very annoying.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 8:31 am    

Currently, just about all commercial websites use Google ads to monetize their operations. This is especially true if they offer free email, forum and chat services. The cost of hosting has been increasing over the last two years or so. The more traffic a site draws, the more they pay to host that content.

You can apply an ad blocker to reduce the clutter. However, those are easy to detect and you will be nagged to turn off the blocker, or consider paying to view the site without ads. The choice is yours.

Those using their web browser, or a downloaded app to "do" email will almost always have to deal with ads that support the service. The way around this is to use an email "client" on a computer to download your email using the POP or IMAP systems, then opening the email in a desktop program. This is how I "do" email. Like Jack, I also use MailWasher Pro to filter out spam. It is a commercial program I have been using for many years.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 8 Jul 2022 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 6:49 pm    

Can't get rid of it thru Task Manager?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 7:10 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
Can't get rid of it thru Task Manager?

If, as it appears, the ads are served within a web browser, on a website, the only program one can use Task Manager to close to terminate the ad is the browser itself. That would include Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or the now deprecated Internet Exploder. The ads are delivered by an ad network that has arrangements with the owner or business manager of the website in question.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 7:48 pm    

I still haven't figured it out. For years I've had Adblock, I had clear browsing, no junk, pop-ups....no youtube ads, no email ads...I have only recently been plagued with these on Yahoo and slightly less with Outlook and I've used the same Firefox browsers since 2015.

FF has a few programs available, like UBlock etc, but I don't know if they're actually less invasive as they're by private or individuals.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 8:28 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I still haven't figured it out. For years I've had Adblock, I had clear browsing, no junk, pop-ups....no youtube ads, no email ads...I have only recently been plagued with these on Yahoo and slightly less with Outlook and I've used the same Firefox browsers since 2015.

FF has a few programs available, like UBlock etc, but I don't know if they're actually less invasive as they're by private or individuals.

Modern advertising delivery networks can detect ad blockers and serve ads using a different method so you have to view them. On free access services provided websites, the website owner needs to make money on ads to offset the increasing costs of maintaining an online presence. If you aren't paying for that access to those services, blocking ads that may be pay per view is depriving the website of a means to earn some income. That is the nuts and bolts of how they view things and why they allow ads to be served in the first place.

In the past the same websites may have had better money streams that allowed them to accept ad blockers and still provide services. Ad blockers are used by so many people that ad companies had to come up with a means of cloaking their ad codes so you actually see them. Perhaps there is a paid option that eliminates ads?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2022 8:04 am    

Yes, there are paid options, but I'm cheap...actually just broke mostly.

Until recently, I had not chosen a default browser but decided on Firefox and enabled it. It was soon afterward that I started getting all this junk. Probably coincidental..I don't know.

Dale Gray

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 6:34 am     Try this.

Click on the 3 bars in upper right hand corner, then settings, then privacy, and then strict. See if that helps.