The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Tweed covering (Info wanted)
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 7:07 am    

Does anyone know the following?

1. Did Fender spray their tweed-covered amps with something after they installed the tweed covering? Maybe shellac?
2. What is the best glue for using when re-covering with the tweed material?

I have an old Fender silver-face Bassman amp head and have the tweed to cover it, but think that the common white glue (or even contact cement) is not a good idea to use. Anyone with experience doing this is welcome to comment. ...Tom

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 7:24 am    

Tom,
I think they sprayed the tweed with clear lacquer.
On the last amp I worked on, I stuck down the Tolex with Scotch Super 77 in a spray can and I'm sure it would work as well on tweed. Very Happy
Erv

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 7:53 am    

I've done a lot of various cases, speaker cabinets, etc and the best I've found and easiest to work with is the Tolex Glue sold by Antique Radio and Mojotone. Its probably available at other places.

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 9:06 am    

This just came into my email box this morning:

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Reference/How_to_relic_a_tweed_amp.html

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 11:31 am    

Hi Tom... Several years ago I finished the raw tweed fabric on a '59 Tweed Deluxe build with 2 applications of Zinzers Amber Shellac. It's available at most hardware stores, and applies with a brush.
After the shellac, Its clear coated with 2-3 coats of
sprayed lacquer or the clear coats of choice. If memory serves I may have used a water based clear coat spray.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 12:08 pm    

Tom,
If you want to vintage the tweed, www.reranch.com
sells tinted clear coat lacquer in the rattle cans.
Erv

Mike Marsh

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 4:12 pm     Contact cment but lightly.....

Also I mix 50/50 Denatured Alchol and Bullseye honey amber Shellac.
Do it on a dry day!!!!
Thanks,
Mike

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 4:50 pm    

I do the the same as Mike Marsh. Does a beautiful job.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 4:53 pm     Amber shellac

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 2:01 am    

I wouldn't discount Elmer's white glue. It's inexpensive, effective, seems to have the perfect set/drying time, drys clear for invisible bleed thru if it happens, and has no odor. I've built four tweed covered amps using such. I bought a gallon and still have half left.
I lay on a medium full coverage layer on the wood using a paint brush. I put a light layer on the Tweed. I use a miniature plastic rolling pin about 1" wide by the 1.5" in diameter to press the covering down during the first 10mins of application. One can also push the fabric to the edges and conform it to the radius of an edge using thumb and fingers. I do a side at a time, applying glue then rolling. I staple or tape the fabric to the inside surfaces. Often I remove the staples/tape after the glue has dried.
I've tried removing the Tweed after its' dried as a test. It sticks damn good but will come up with some efffort.
I always clear laquer a couple/three coats as Tweed collects stains so easily. Once laquered one can use regular cleaning agents to remmove dirt, stains, etc.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 3:35 am    

This is what I have used for many years for glue.

Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 5:51 am    

Don't forget to add a coat of semi gloss
water based poly after the shellac....

RJ

www.rickjohnsoncabinets.com

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 8:55 am    

I use titebond to adhere tweed to amp cabinets and it works wonderfully!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 5:54 am    

Jeff Metz Jr. wrote:
I use titebond to adhere tweed to amp cabinets and it works wonderfully!

I have used hide glue in the the past. It works very well. I like the idea of using Titebond! Could you give some more info on this? Which variety of Titebond? Are you letting it get tacky? Are you applying it to both sides?? I try to stay away from contact cement spray or brush. Nasty stuff!!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 8:30 am    

For anyone reading this in the future, I did a few experiments with Titebond, and the original seems to be good for the task. I didn't try blue, but green didn't seem to work as well as the original. PVA white glue seems like it would work, but is not as strong and I personally wouldn't use it. It peeled off pretty easy. I did my experiments with vinyl tweed, but I would imagine real tweed would have a better hold being actual cloth and more porous. I Just ordered a yard for my Deluxe build, so I will find out soon. My plan is to coat the fabric and the wood using a brush and work it into the fibers. I will do the flats first then clean everything and do my cuts for the corners after it sets a bit. I use tape to keep aligned maybe staples on the inside. Next I found that if you coat the fabric heavily and let it sit, it gets really tacky at about 7 minutes of air drying. Hopefully good enough to do the tricky corners. I will follow up with my results.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 5:49 pm    

Fender actually used hide glue for glueing the tweed to amps. Per my tweed guitar case that came with my '62 Strat, they sprayed it with lacquer, but not too thick.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 5:23 am    

I just finished up my cabinet and I used the the tried and true method of hide glue. It is very forgiving and I can’t see using anything else. One added benefit I discovered. I messed up the upper back panel and wanted the tube peep holes rounded more, so I just soaked the piece in hot water in the tub and was able to peel it off and redo it, saving the precious tweed. Make sure to use the lower gram strength glue. It has more open time and is plenty strong. I use an old coffee warmer to heat it up. Keep a bucket of warm water handy with sponge. it does get a little messy.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 5:36 am    

Glad to see that Rick Johnson chimed in. I would suggest getting his video on cabinet recovering. He explains in detail how to cover or recover a cabinet, and discusses the types of materials, like glue, needed for a good job. FYI I have 3 of his cabinets. He does great work.

Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 12:30 pm    

Here's some of Rick's work about 12 years old or so and still as nice as when it was new. No tweed lifting up, it has maybe darkened with age, but only a little bit it, as it was tinted when new.

[/img]

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 11:51 am    

FYI the "tweed" material made today is not similar to what Fender used in the 50s at all. Its mostly plastic now. You won't see it fray as it ages like you did those old Fenders.

But because its mostly plastic, the tolex glue and amber poly works well on it