The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 Request: Josie by Steely Dan
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 8:03 am    

I'm playing with some folks who want to do "Josie" by Steely Dan. Here's the chord chart I made, but I can't seem to find positions to make it through the chorus smoothly. Those changes go by really fast! Any help would be appreciated.

(I play D6th, so any C6th open or 1st fret positions are out.)

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix2203/1283_Josie_1.jpg

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 3:27 pm    

The only position I've found for the B+7#9 in this song is a 2-footer with P8 and a non-standard pedal (middle E to F) at the 14th fret. I know some people have that change on a knee but I don't - it's essentially my p4. Is there any way to get that B+7#9 chord with standard C6th changes?

In numbers, it's 1 3 #5 b7 #9.

In notes, it's B D# G A D.

It sounds like the exact right chord right when I play it with my P4 + standard P8, but it's hard to do. Too much foot dancing.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 10:30 am    

B0b and I worked on this back and forth via PM over the last days.

My findings on his question about that V7alt chord (B.aug.b7, #9) after having gone thru the whole array of chord sequences of this song, listening, watching youtube-videos on guitar and keys, are:

- 1. In most cases the chord is not played completely, often missing the root and often with EITHER the aug. 5th OR the altered 9th.

- 2. Often the altered 9th is b9th instead of #9th, but that also depends on the presence of the aug. 5th or not.

- 3. In lieu of a root (I) often both a b5 and a #5 can be found an octave apart.

- 4. In the two i-m (bII M7), II7, V.alt, sequences of the Chorus, the V7alt chord has a different "significance" or musical statement than the with insistence repeated V7#9 at the very end of the Chorus. That last one ist mostly played by guitarists as the 1,3,b7,#9 voicing known as the "Hendrix Chord" (which Django Reinhardt used too... long before JH).

-5. Most of the Maj7th/9th chords should be viewed as Triads-Over-Bass, because as Donald Fagan explains in the videos below, the BASS line was of essence. When you write a chord as Triad-Over-Bass, the triad "may" be in "any" inversion, but the BASS is SET clearly. Those sequences all have a clear bass-line (call it bass melody):
- Donald Fagen Video #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJ11H4TdbI
- Donald Fagen Video #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V65t4GlgOh8

So, to "identify" the chord in question, I went about listening to the BASS first and then the top note... the later which like in Jazz's "lead note" is fairly constant. Everything else, "the chord" is captured in between those two extremes and found using the ears and looking at hands on piano examples found on videos.

I will later post the whole run in C6th.
It's playable with thumb with 2 picks, but evidently, ALONE thumb and 3 picks will be more closely replicating the chordal experience heard on the records.
IF you play with 2 picks and thumb, below examples can all be played using the same wide "fork" grip |xx|x| (-> bass-to-treble), which in the two positions involving P8 eliminates it's need.

So, HERE we go:

In the two 2,5,i-m sequences I found that either the P6/C-lower or the P8/C-lower TRI-TONE positions (both logically 6 frets up from their respective basic Dom7th(9th or #9th) positions) brings about the closest offering the degrees to formulate a pleasant version of the desired chord:

IF we take the i-m (Em) as a wide grip voicing off the 8th string rooted non-pedal-minor 7th position (Am at the nut)at the 7th fret, strings 8, 6, 5, 3
the II.alt7th could be played 2 frets above using P8 to raise the bottom m3rd to convert the ii-m7 located there to Mrd resulting in a II.7#9 on strings 8, 7, 5, 3.
moving down 1 fret (in between the two) still with P8 and adding the top C-to-B lower (lever) we get on the same string the Tri-Tone inversion of the P8-dom7#9 with will have the following degrees on stings:

St. 3(L): aug.5th
St. 5 : M3rd
St. 7 : b7th
St. 8(R): b5 BASS

The presence of the b5th may surprise, but it IS part of the Bass Run which, when you add the passing chord bII.M7 or call it #I.M7 and just really serves as a chromatic bass passage, as the bass goes E, F, F# back down F, E
That bII.M7 is best played on the 9th string M7th position (12th fret) with the same wide grip (strings 9, 7, 6, 4) or two frets below the 8th string rooted Em (i-m) with P7 strings, 7, 5, 4, 2.
So the bass, just walks up and down 2 chromatic semitones.

An alternate position for the B7.alt would be the P6/C-B-lower-TriTone inversion on the 12th fret (which offers a few more choices):

St. 1(D): #9th
St. 3: b9th
St. 3(L): root
St. 5 : aug.5th
St. 6(LL): #9th (m3rd)
St. 6(L-P6): M3rd
St. 7 :b9th
St. 8 : b7th
St. 9 : b5th

Evidently, strings 1, 2 and 3 are already outside (higher) of the played chord's
spectrum.
I am confident too that most will find that having playing both the aug.5th WITH the #9th does not sound all to pleasant in that order.

Guitarists mainly tend to use some version of the 5th-string rooted dom7,#9 (aka. Hendrix Chord) 1,M3,b7,#9 (but leaving the #5 which would easily be reachable by laying down the pinky holding the #9, out) or the more "Django style" 6th string-rooted dom7th,aug 1,x,b7,M3, #5, #9 by laying the ring finger down over the first 3 strings.

I HOPE I did not mis-write some of this.

While this is not "my" music, I found it a VERY interesting experiment and I learned a LOT about chords I already used and forced me to really investigate these TriTone substitutions beyond just playing them where I felt my ear calls for them.

I will try to elaborate a playing chart for the whole sequences down the line.

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Last edited by J D Sauser on 16 Jun 2022 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 12:45 pm    

J.D.'s post came in at 11:30 AM PST so I don't have time to properly digest it before band practice at 3 PM. I'm really looking forward to seeing his preferred positions for the whole chorus. Mr. Green I'll make do with the awkward 2-footers I've come up with for this afternoon's practice.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 1:42 pm    

b0b wrote:
J.D.'s post came in at 11:30 AM PST so I don't have time to properly digest it before band practice at 3 PM. I'm really looking forward to seeing his preferred positions for the whole chorus. Mr. Green I'll make do with the awkward 2-footers I've come up with for this afternoon's practice.

The P8 version for the V-chord is the easiest as you keep the same | |x|x| grip for both the IIdom7alt and one fret below the V7alt chords (adding the Cflat lever), and just end one further down on Em with the classic |x| |x| grip (releasing all changes) while keeping the same top and bottom strings during the 3 chords.
The only jump is the #IM79 either 5 frets up from the open 8th string rooted Em rooted at the 9th string (same grip as Em just one string set back |x| |x|) or 2 frets below the 8t-string-rooted Em one string group up with P7 (again same |x| |x| grip)... once it's found, it's easy to play...
If you choose only to play 3 notes... the pitch-fork grip |xx|x| even eliminates the need of engaging P8 as the 7string isn't plucked. Then all can be played using only the Cflat lever on the V7 and if you prefer the #IM79 closer-by below, with P7 there... even easier.

By the way, mind that I start the example of the Chorus with the last bar of the Verse Em, FM79 it's important to see that in context because the second run uses that passing #I chord again.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 4:39 pm    

just the end of the Verse (i-m to #I.M79) going into the repeated II,V,i-m of the beginning of the Chorus.

i-minor in red.

the #I.M79 in green can be played 2 frets below i-m with P7 OR 5 frets above i-m open.

the alternated pos. for the V7alt (blue) chord would be the P6 (Cflat-lever) inversion o the TriTone 5 frets above i-m. As described above, it has more options to choose from, but the depicted version with the P8+Cflat inversion of the TriTone sub, just flows easier to play, in my opinion.

... JD.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 8:54 am    

Very good! Thanks, J D.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 12:29 pm    

b0b wrote:
Very good! Thanks, J D.

Thanks, B0b, although I am unsure, β€œvery good” musically or just my tab-alternative-β€œpaintings”?
Does it sound good?

I shall then continue and paint out the rest of the Chorus and the Intro & Verse too.
The intro & Verse uses mainly P7 and the 6th-string-double-lower you now have.

... JD.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2022 8:27 pm    

I play a lot of Steely Dan on C6 and just started messing with Josie myself, this week coincidentally.

for the chorus, I'm playing:
F#7#9, fret 9 pedal 8
B7#5, fret 9 pedal 5, raise string 4 a half
Em7, fret 7 no pedals
C/F, fret 12 no pedals

F#7#9, fret 9 pedal 8
B7#5, fret 9 pedal 5, raise string 4 a half
Em7, fret 7 no pedals
A7, fret 7 pedal 5

Am7, fret 12 no pedals
D9, fret 12 pedal 5
Gβˆ†, fret 7 no pedals
Cβˆ†, fret 7 no pedals

F#7#9, fret 9 pedal 8
B7#9#5, fret 14 pedal 8, raise string 6 a half

the intro was a challenge but I got it worked out pretty well at frets 4 and 2, then those last 4 chords:
C/F, fret 12 no pedals
F#7#9, fret 9 pedal 8
D/G, fret 14 no pedals
G#βˆ†, fret 15 no pedals

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 4:35 pm     Josie, Part 1. Intro ending Sequence ending on AbM7.13

This is the Intro Chord Sequence on C6th as a "consolidation" of what I seem to see and "hear" off Key and Guitar players and which I've tested against various rhythm tracks and the original in Em (later versions are in Dm).

Example only requires P7, P8 and P7 with the 6th-string full tone lower ("LL").
The two last chords can be picked on top while raked up with the thumb.
Although I prefer to omit the Bass "G" on the second last chord (D/G) and just grab the D's 9th in the bass for more "definition/separation". That's why I put it in a dotted circle.

As with all examples, it's centered around the 8th-string-rooted Em fret.
Shown as flow-chart. So you see the relationships.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 6:23 pm    

Frankly, I find tab easier to read. πŸ€ͺ

Is the 7th string also lowered on the 3rd chord?

Why are some dots filled in?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 6:35 pm    

scott murray wrote:
I play a lot of Steely Dan on C6 and just started messing with Josie myself, this week coincidentally.

Very cool.

For the chorus, that's pretty close to where I'm at. I like how you're doing a lot of the chords with no pedals. Do you find it hard jumping from p8 to p5 at tempo, though?

Also, you have 2 chords with no pedals at the same fret. Is that a typo?
Quote:
Am7, fret 12 no pedals
D9, fret 12 pedal 5
Gβˆ†, fret 7 no pedals
Cβˆ†, fret 7 no pedals

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 7:23 pm    

b0b wrote:
Frankly, I find tab easier to read. πŸ€ͺ

"Pfft!" πŸ˜‚

b0b wrote:
Is the 7th string also lowered on the 3rd chord?

No... only P7 & 6th-string-Double-Lower-Lever. The G on the 7th string is dotted because it MAY be played, I find it "too much". In my playing there, I only hit the 8th string and pick the three top strings. I feel it sounds more "defined". The bass-player ought to go to G in the bass, against the triad above, G is evidently 4/11.
I like to get a "wide" - "lofty" (?) sound. A bit like Maurice in the Intro to "So Wonderful" I sent you.

b0b wrote:
Why are some dots filled in?

The filled dots are roots, B0b.

I forgot to put the degrees on the AbM7.13 you asked me about.

Str. 4: M7
Str. 5: 5th
Str. 6: M3rd
Str. 7: Root (filled)
Str. 8: 6th/13th

I tend to only play strings: 4 & 5 and 7 & 8 on that last chord for the same reason described above on the other chord: "wide" & "lofty". (I am really not sure y'awlls will understand "lofty" as what I am trying to describe)

That chord can also be reached with a combination of pulls in the exact same lineup of degrees 3 frets lower... but the shown version is easier (just P7) and flows well into the picking and bar-movement sequence.

The chart moves up and down (to your tuning or any key) as a picture... just like one sees things on the neck. Yes, it's more complex to write, but you see what's coming and where, and always in relationship. yada-yada-yada πŸ€ͺ
This is why I tend to stay away from this section of the Forum, unless I am invited in, especially by appointment of the Landlord.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 9:37 pm    

Also, you have 2 chords with no pedals at the same fret. Is that a typo?
Quote:
Am7, fret 12 no pedals
D9, fret 12 pedal 5
Gβˆ†, fret 7 no pedals
Cβˆ†, fret 7 no pedals

not a typo Wink

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 9:42 pm    

b0b wrote:

For the chorus, that's pretty close to where I'm at. I like how you're doing a lot of the chords with no pedals. Do you find it hard jumping from p8 to p5 at tempo, though?

I'm a two-footer on C6, rarely employ the volume pedal. so I'm using right foot on pedal 8 and left foot on pedal 5, although it could certainly be done with just the left foot

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 6:44 am    

Is this what you mean, J D? I had a hard time following your diagram, so I tabbed it out.
Tab:
Josie intro chords

C/F  F#7#9   D/G  Abβˆ†13
D_____________________________
E_____________________________
C__________9__________________
A____5##_________7##___8##____
G____5_____9_____7_____8______
E____5___________7bb___8______
C____5_____9#___(7)____8______
A__________9_____7_____8______
F_____________________________
C_____________________________
     P7    P8   P7+k   p7

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 7:14 am    

J D Sauser wrote:

Theory question:

Spelling that out, I got <pre> F Ab C Eb G</pre> which is clearly an Fm9 chord. Why is it not written Fm9/Ab?

It's just a first inversion of Fm. All of the online charts call it AbMaj13. The m9 chord is a lot more common than a Maj13, and if the 13th note isn't on top, is it really a 13th chord at all?

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 8:20 am    

b0b wrote:
Is this what you mean, J D? I had a hard time following your diagram, so I tabbed it out.
Tab:
Josie intro chords

E____5___________7bb___8______
C____5_____9#___(7)____8______
     P7    P8   P7+k   p7

Frankly, I find tab... πŸ˜‚πŸ€ͺ😁

YES B0b... Correct.
Just that the last chord, I would leave the 6th string out:

Tab:
Josie intro chords

E____5___________7bb__________
C____5_____9#__________8______
     P7    P8   P7+k   p7

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 8:36 am    

b0b wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:

Theory question:

Spelling that out, I got <pre> F Ab C Eb G</pre> which is clearly an Fm9 chord. Why is it not written Fm9/Ab?

It's just a first inversion of Fm. All of the online charts call it AbMaj13. The m9 chord is a lot more common than a Maj13, and if the 13th note isn't on top, is it really a 13th chord at all?

I don't know, B0b. Even revisiting Don. Fagen's interview on the subject and studying example and "tutorial" videos on the subject, just often raises more questions than answers. Typically (in my opinion), one would choose to write chords as "triad-over-bass" to clearly impose a particular BASS-note.
And Fagen mentions this briefly while playing while talking.
BUT,... many, especially key players tend to prefer writing chords as "triad-over-bass" because in some keys it makes it easier to them to know WHAT is being played. They go so far to rename chords or split chords "Triad-over-CHORD" so to "simplify" their thinking. We are back to "it's all just TheorIES" and not laws of physics... all very debatable.
I had a conservatory piano and violin player who plays professionally for movie productions and church organ and classic... just about EVERYthing with a like minded friend of his at my house last year, and I marveled about how they would discuss chords and degrees being played in Jazz as "this" or "that"... was it an #11th or could it be a "b9th" or the other chord... it went on and on and I just walked away rolling my eyes thinking about James Brown settling an argument about the correctness or a chord with "Yeah, but does it sound good?"

THIS experiment here, explains a lot about chords, how to use them and where we can find them playable and sounding FITTING in the "spirit" of the song and what we feel it is meant to sound like.
On steel, just like on standard guitar, it almost always ends up being an approximation. But it also shows what ALL is possible and I am left quite amazed and "satisfied".

At the end of the day, all the theorIES ought just to help us LOCATE WHERE to PLAY things the best and most fitting way possible on our instruments, but then we should shed it all off and just PLAY WITH it.

I will be traveling the next days, I'm packing up today. I have most of the rest already written out on my charts in "pencil"... Just working on the intro Head and will make it all available next week. Back in the DR, I should be able to Video it... better than charts or that "other stuff".

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Last edited by J D Sauser on 20 Jun 2022 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 8:56 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
YES B0b... Correct.

Tab:
Josie intro chords

P7    P8   P7+k   p7

Since I have a lever LKV that raises string 7 a full step, I could do a slide trick: Mr. Green
Tab:
A____5##_________7##---8##____
G____5_____9_____7-----8______
E____5________________________
C____5_____9#____7##---8______
A__________9_____7-----8______
     P7    P8   P7+k   p7

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 9:11 am    

b0b wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:
YES B0b... Correct.

Tab:
Josie intro chords

P7    P8   P7+k   p7

Since I have a lever LKV that raises string 7 a full step, I could do a slide trick: Mr. Green
Tab:
A____5##_________7##---8##____
G____5_____9_____7-----8______
E____5________________________
C____5_____9#____7##---8______
A__________9_____7-----8______
     P7    P8   P7+k   p7

TRICKSTER!

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 9:59 am    

I found B+7#9 spelled in b0b's second post on this thread: 1,3,#5,b7,#9 on my C6:

6th fret, pedal 6 (sorry, not P5 - edit), MKV (lowers my As), MKR (raises my Cs)

Strings 9,8,7,6,4. It's a tricky grip, though, even if it does contain all five parts of the chord. Engaging my central MKV and MKR is doable - just.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 12:21 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
I found B+7#9 spelled in b0b's second post on this thread: 1,3,#5,b7,#9 on my C6:

6th fret, pedal 6 (sorry, not P5 - edit), MKV (lowers my As), MKR (raises my Cs)

Strings 9,8,7,6,4. It's a tricky grip, though, even if it does contain all five parts of the chord. Engaging my central MKV and MKR is doable - just.

Alas, I can't use that. Those levers are LKR and LKL on mine. Oh Well

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 4:35 am    

JD:

I'm in complete agreement with your 'signature' quip but, having said that, it's a very useful tool for sharing suggestions in a thread such as this.

I don't know how to create the diagrams you and b0b have been using so my suggestion (above - B+7#9) had to be expressed 'longhand', as it were.

Where tab can trip a player up is when he plays a song by rote from someone else's work. A player learns nothing about the geography of the tuning until he recognizes sounds and and intervals; then his ears will guide him.

Oddly, it's a bit like the very best sight-readers who open a chart at a session or in an orchestral setting. The music on the page goes from their eyes to their hands like a reflex and, seconds later, they may have no memory of what they played.