The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help dating a Fender Stringmaster D6
Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 10:28 am    

I don't play this kind of guitar and acquired it some 35 years ago when I purchased a locally advertised 1950s Fender Telecaster and the owner pulled this out telling me he wanted to sell them together because he bought them at the same time.

After tiring of seeing it in the back of the closet for all these years, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on selling it but, over the years/decades, I've received conflicting reports about when this D6 was made? I'd like to get this detail right before selling it.

I always assumed it was from the mid-1950's because of the 5 digit serial number 609xx under the bridge cover and the yellowish finish color which is the same as the Telecaster I bought. Others have suggested that the Fender logo appears to be from the mid to late 1960's as does the black/orange case which admittedly could have been a later replacement? Maybe there are other details that I hadn't considered that can help to answer this question?

Are there experts here that can weigh in and advise? Maybe even offer an idea of a reasonable sale value considering it appears to be in exceptionally nice condition.

Thanks.

Lloyd Walsh

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 11:48 am    

Check the volume and tone pots for date codes. It’s not accurate for exact build of your instrument but you’ll know it’s not older than what those dates indicate.

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-potmeter_eng.php

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 12:51 pm    

You might also try removing a tuner pan to see if a date was penciled in under the pan. I agree with those who are saying mid to late 60's. The logo, case, knobs and pre-squared off tuner buttons all point to that period.

Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 1:27 pm    

I appreciate the good suggestions but, since I have no experience with removing screws and parts of an electric guitar, I'm somewhat of a fraidy cat. Frankly I wouldn't know how to remove a pot or where to start and the strings have been on there for decades so removing the pan isn't something I would likely do anytime soon! That said, if the secret to dating this guitar lies solely in undertaking those suggestions, then one day I likely will.

Guess I simply assumed that the Fender serial number dating system was inherently reliable...unlike Gibson's! Smile

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 1:58 pm     Dual 6

I have a Dual 6, with black case. and there were no numbers under the tuning pans.I didnt check the pots ,but was was told it was a 1960.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 2:06 pm     Dual 6

I forgot to mention the knob on the neck switch on mine is white and round tear drop shape, not like the one shown here.
Carl
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 6:55 pm    

Mid to late 60s by the case and logo. It's in fine condition and it value would be essentially the same no matter the year imo.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 7:05 pm    

Is there a Fender logo on the outside of the case? If so, post a picture. That metal logo went through several changes in the 60's and might provide a clue. Given the nice condition, I think your D6 would sell between $1400 and $1700. Nothing close to the appreciation of the Tele you bought with it but someone will be happy to snag it. Tell them it's the same model Steve Howe used. Smile

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 1:57 am    

Jim Dulfer wrote:
I appreciate the good suggestions but, since I have no experience with removing screws and parts…

Guess I simply assumed that the Fender serial number dating system was inherently reliable...unlike Gibson's! Smile

Fender serial numbers are not reliable. Looking under the tuning pans is the only shot you have at an accurate date for it. Even then there’s no guarantee there’ll be one there. Removing those screws is the easiest thing in the world.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 12:47 pm    

Serial numbers on steels bear no resemblance to the numbers on Teles and Strats etc. so the various serial number databases are of no use at all.

Best way to date it is by the case and logo as has been said earlier in the thread which definitely points to 60s.

The good news (if you are selling it) is that, for Fender steels, the age of the instrument has almost no bearing on what it's worth.

It seems that the double 6 instruments are less common than the double 8s.

Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2022 1:16 pm    

You guys are great! I've now learnt that serial numbers on steels bear no resemblance to the serial numbers assigned to guitars so that was a revelation. Now I am certain that the steel must be from the 1960's and that the case is original which I had often wondered about. Here is a pic of the outside of the case as suggested by some. A small part of the last letter is broken off. One day when I decide to change the strings, I'll take the pan off and look for some of the other suggestions made to firm down the year of manufacture although, as all have suggested, it really doesn't matter to the value. Good to know...and thanks to all!

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 6:42 pm     Re: Dual 6

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
I forgot to mention the knob on the neck switch on mine is white and round tear drop shape, not like the one shown here.
Carl

If it's white and round, it's not original to the guitar. To my knowledge, Fender never had a white, teardrop shaped switch on a Stringmaster. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I'd appreciate that.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 6:45 pm     Re: Dual 6

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
I have a Dual 6, with black case. and there were no numbers under the tuning pans.I didnt check the pots ,but was was told it was a 1960.

Probably not a '60 if the case is black (unless the case isn't original to the guitar). The 60's cases were brown. And after '60, you're unlikely to find a date under a tuner pan.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 3:09 am     Dual 6

The pickup switch knob on my steel is white, round and pear shaped as mentioned ,they were used on the early Teles. I have a replacement black squared knob that fits my 1997 Tele but it wont fit my Dual 6. For what its worth.

KEEP STEELIN
Smile Smile Smile

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 3:13 am     Dual 6

hOPEFULLY THIS WORKS , TRYING TO POST PIC OF THE CASE.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=a533298d24&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-7440348675255051230&th=181af286d43f9213&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=181af280920a35e30b71

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 6:21 am    

Referring to the picture Jim posted of his case: According to the website I've linked, Fender only used that case logo in 1966. (Picture of the case logos is at the bottom of the page). Based on all the other indicators about the guitar and case, I'd say '66 (or at least mid 60's) is a safe bet.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html

Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 11:44 am    

Thanks Bill...it's all coming together finally.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 11:54 am     Bill is correct

It's def. a post-CBS guitar. The thick finish is yet another clue. As for the earlier guitars, for those who are interested, here's a way to help date by case for pre-63/63 guitars (it's not perfect, but it's pretty close):