The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please close...thanks everyone.
Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 6:49 pm    

Do you wear your "electric ears"or
leave them home when your playing out?

Last edited by Jim Arnold on 2 Jul 2022 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 2:25 am    

I wear mine. I've had hearing aids for about 10 years. Took about a month when I first got them where I was OK wearing them to play music but no other problems.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 3:21 am    

Mine have a setting for music that really helps with definition. To much noise makes what I hear muddy.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 4:33 am     Hearing aids?

My hearing was damaged by loud noises years ago. To play music wearing them the sooner one accepts that fact nothing is going to replace their normal hearing. IMO the sooner they accept that fact the better off they will be. Tracy

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 8:39 am    

I've had a high-end loss for years, the result of too much loud rock and roll with loud drummers. I just leave my HA's out when playing. They work fine for conversation and TV, but they sound tinny like a telephone on both the normal and the music settings.

The near-term workaround for the stage is to EQ my amp to where I like it, mic the amp and back the highs off on the FOH mix.

My audiologist tells me I could tweak the Hearing aids' EQ with a smartphone, but that's not happening. Got enough 'Net dependence already. Winking

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 12:01 pm     Hearing Aids

I appreciate everyone's input. My hearing aids have some adjustability, but its pretty limited. I suppose it's just a matter of experimenting playing with them and without.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 4:52 pm    

I turn them off while playing.....they are too tinny sounding and adjusting the amp to sound somewhat ok, with them, just seems to muddy up the tone.

Then I also wonder why I need them (while playing) I can hear the music ok.

If I'm practicing at home without them, I at leasst have an excuse to not hear the wife when she calls..........

Sam

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 11:09 pm    

I always play with them in. I can no longer hear high frequencies very well at all. After getting hearing aides I had to back off the highs quite a lot on the amp. It then occurred to me just how much I had them boosted, compensating because I really couldn't hear them. So I wondered what it had actually sounded like to people with normal hearing. Very toppy and tinny no doubt.

So I feel you need to wear the aides just to have a chance to eq your sound, if nothing else.