The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with stageone mechanics
Jacques Bergeon

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 10:35 am    

I bought a used Stage one recently and the previous owner put some more heavy duty knee levers on it and seemingly modified it as well. It seems to have a lot of problems in the knee levers. First off, RKR makes my D# go down a full step instead of a half like the diagram from stage one shows. In order to correct this, I’m thinking of simply moving the little stopping wheel closer to the lever. Good or bad idea? Next, my RKL seems to be a double stop but it does not do anything differently from half stop to full, it’s just damn hard to to go all the way. Was this disabled somehow? IT is also dangerously close to slipping through to the other side and it grinds against the moving metal bracket when packing it down and won’t sit flush either. LKR went clear through the other side last time I hit it and the plastic wheel looks damaged. The lever itself is very loose compared to the others too. Videos shown. LKL works great and so do the pedals. Also why are there extra holes drilled near the lever walls? Was this completely tampered with? I am an experienced luthier but I am new to steel guitars. Also, are there any steel guitar techs in the Austin, Texas area?

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 11:35 am    

To start with, your E's are WAY overtuned. Read the sticky on overtuning in this section of the forum. Hopefully that'll give you some understanding of how the linkages work. Critical to understand the linkages to be able to adjust anything.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 11:41 am    

I can see the 2 fingers are tight, possibly not enough to matter but you want all 10 aligned at rest (also make sure no cross shafts are binding, that issue took a lot of time to figuree out when i had Stage 1): https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2591382#2591382

As far as undoing mods, did the seller have the original levers/mounts?

and you can search Members using link above for Austin area people who can direct you to a tech. Also Doug Earnest will respond if you email...

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 4:53 am    

Brian Hollands wrote:
To start with, your E's are WAY overtuned. Read the sticky on overtuning in this section of the forum. Hopefully that'll give you some understanding of how the linkages work. Critical to understand the linkages to be able to adjust anything.

Brian- It's a pull-release guitar, that is why the E's are not in line. When the E's are lowered, they will line up, (released).

Jacques - there is a sequence for tuning a Stage One, it should be on the website. I would suggest following the sequence layed out by the builder, Doug Ernest.

One trick I know is to tune the E lowers with the lever engaged. Tune these D# notes at the keyhead. Then release the lever and tune your open E notes with the red tuning nuts....

And then tune the raises on those strings. That should get you in the ballpark.

Mike D

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 5:23 am    

Ahh, well then disregard. I'd thought those were all-pull.

Jacques Bergeon

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 7:46 am    

Thanks for the help! I am very confused to be honest so I think I’m just going to bring it to Jim Flynn up the interstate from me. I need to learn how these things work though. How did you guys learn? Just by tinkering?

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 7:59 am    

Jim is a good guy, he helped me a bit rebuilding my Sho-Bud.
Best bet is to have him make sure the guitar is working well and then explain the procedures for tuning and adjustment. It's easier to see it than to read it and transfer that to actually doing something.

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 3:46 pm     Jim Flynn

I'll second that. Jim is a great guy and a very knowledgeable steel guitar technician. I'm sure you'll be pleased with Jim's work and advice.