The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rotary pedal
Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 12:31 pm    

What is your thought on the Electro Harmonix Lester G rotary pedal?

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 3:18 am    

I use a Strymon Lex and imo it's dead on to the classic Hammond rotary sound. Put some 7th chord changes through it and it's totally the vibe.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 5:42 am     Rotary pedal

Where would you put the strymon rotary pedal in you signal chain

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 12:00 pm    

I put it after delay and before reverb which are the last two effects in the chain for me.

Loop send -> delay -> rotary -> reverb ->loop return
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 12:15 pm     Rotary pedal

Ok thank you

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 11:36 am    

I have bought and sold a few rotary effects.
Finally settled on the Strymon Lex.
Using an Electro Harmonix B9 with it.
Now I am using the Lex more just by itself.
Very happy with that.

Thomas Alexander

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 5:56 am    

Tagging on: has anyone used the Fender Pinwheel? It seems to have mostly the same controls as the Lex. The Pinwheel has an additional knob for sensitivity, which adjusts how quickly the rotary speed reacts to guitar output volume.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 10:20 am    

I never could get a B-3 sound I was happy with out of the B9, I think the average steel guitar pickup is wound too hot for it, but I've kept the Lester G and like using it.
As long as I'm not trying to play hot B-3 parts and stick to fills and changing the speed in the right spots it seems to do the job pretty well.
I put both my distortion and the Lester G in front of the volume pedal and my Holy Grail Reverb after the volume pedal.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 8:32 pm    

I've used a Korg G4 for years, but it's big and a bit fragile.

The Line 6 Rotomachine is excellent - 3 different Leslie types, adjustable ramping etc - and inexpensive.

But my current favorite Leslie "pedal" is an "under the radar" Nux "Roctary" (yes, that's how it's spelled) with an expression pedal as a speed control; it has more controls than you'd ever need - drum and horn speeds, relative phasing - great sound.

However - NOTHING beats A deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb hooked up to a Leslie 16/Fender Vibratone (same thing) *WITH* the full crossover wiring and footswitch.

It plugs into the amp's speaker out - not the extension - and the amp's speaker plugs nto the wiring harness. The "Leslie" switch sends the mids to the Leslie's 10" speaker and the highs & lows to the guitar amp speaker; the "speed" control ramps up to high speed (depending on how you adjust the brake) and pressing it again slows it down - the "ramping", again, dependent on how you adjust the cabinet.

The stock speaker sucks - it's a terrible Utah - but a 10" Tone Tubby version of their "Red" speaker is an absolute monster, and the sound seems to be coming from every direction in swirls because of the voicing of the crossover.

Players who lose or ditch the crossover and use it as an extension speaker are missing the whole point of how it's supposed to work! I've used mine live and in he studio for guitar and steel for almost 20 years. The organ Leslies (with drums and horns) are voiced wrong for steel or 6 string and when using pedals I dumb them down to get rid of the harsh highs. Also, the Leslie 18 - same thing with a 12" speaker is great but far more rare and expensive!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional