The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Collection of THE GUITARIST MAGAZINES 1933-1941...SOLD
Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 5:52 am    

I have a large collection of The Guitarist magazines accumulated over my lifetime. Frankly I hadn't even looked at them in 35 years because I acquired them that long ago from a neighbor who collected lap steels and they have been stored away ever since...until my wife found them this week and said "these need to go to someone who will enjoy reading them again'! She has a point.

I'm guessing most folks here know that these magazines were published by the Oahu company to support the Hawaiian guitar and lap steel music scene that was burgeoning in the 1930's and 1940's. You've perhaps seen an issue or two but have you ever seen a collection of 35 issues?? Actually 38 since 3 are duplicates!

What's here? Well for starters, I think the very FIRST issue dated January 1933 because the first page explains in detail the intended mission as a "monthly magazine devoted exclusively to the Hawaiian guitar".

I also have 4 issues from 1936; 4 issues from 1938; the complete set of 12 issues from 1939; 3 issues from 1940 and 11 issues from 1941.

These magazines are loaded with great pictures of new guitars and amplifiers developed by the Oahu musical instrument company along with pictures of large steel guitar orchestras and even families and children playing these instruments!

I honestly didn't have a clue what these magazines are valued at so I looked at eBay and noticed that single issues are listed for $29 each! Look for yourself. Since it's obviously much harder to find a collection of these 80-90 year old magazines than finding a single issue, it's reasonable to assume that a large collection would be valued at more than the price of a single issue! Regardless, the price of a single issue seems exorbitant quite frankly and I hope he sells them but I'm willing to sell this entire collection of 40 magazines for just $400 (at only $10/issue) and that includes the rare 1932 first issue! I hope that's fair and reasonable? If not, please feel free to make an offer you think is fair and reasonable?

My preference is to sell the magazines as a "lot" but if I start receiving emails asking to buy single issues, I might equivocate and sell them for $15/issue? And then maybe not!

Shipping is extra since I don't know where these will be shipped to?

Let me know if you have any questions?