The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning issue
Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 9:52 am    

Hi All

I am trying to tune my D lever, but once I get it to D sharp, the open E string goes out. It's that old chasing my tail problem. I cannot tune up the raise without tuning up the open string at the same time. Can someone advise me how to get out of this trap please?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 9:58 am    

Take some time and read this very informative post about overtuning. It may be helpful.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460

~Lee

Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 7:09 am    

Thanks Jon I have had a go at adjusting the stop on my D lever. The top D raise is now fine, but the low raise now has gone out. I have been readjusting this but I can only get one of the raises to line up. If I get the lower D raise sorted, then this puts the higher D raise to go out.

Any ideas anyone?

This is my new Williams that I got in March this year.

Just to say, when I examined the D lever, I noticed that the screws bolting the lever to the body of the guitar were both so loose that it was almost hanging off. I tightened them back up and thought this would be the cause, but it wasn't.

Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 7:09 am    

Thanks Jon I have had a go at adjusting the stop on my D lever. The top D raise is now fine, but the low raise now has gone out. I have been readjusting this but I can only get one of the raises to line up. If I get the lower D raise sorted, then this puts the higher D raise to go out.

Any ideas anyone?

This is my new Williams that I got in March this year.

Just to say, when I examined the D lever, I noticed that the screws bolting the lever to the body of the guitar were both so loose that it was almost hanging off. I tightened them back up and thought this would be the cause, but it wasn't.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 7:50 am    

I'm confused by your terminology. What is the "D lever"? I always thought it referred to one that lowers strings 2 and 9 on E9th, or (in Jeff Newman's tab) the one that lowers the E strings. But you seem to be referring to a raise (the "F lever", maybe?).

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 10:15 am    

Have you read and tried the steps in that link about "overtuning"? It really sounds like that is your problem. After you tune the raise, you are saying the open note is now sharp? If so, don't actuate the knee lever, turn the nylon tuner counterclockwise. Does the open string start flattening? If so, you are overtuned.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2022 8:52 pm    

Over Tuning, Is the result of a problem somewhere in the pull rod system for that strings raise or lower.

One problem could be a stop not properly adjusted for the pull.

Or not enough Pull Rod travel, If not enough travel, The Pull Rod will need to be moved in the Bell Crank farther from the Cross Rod 1 hole at a time. Then check tuning and travel of the pull rod. You need enough pull rod movement to make the raise or lower on the string and a little free movement of the rod at rest.

Good Luck on this project, And Happy steelin.