The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Terry Bethel C6 Copedent
Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 5:43 pm    

Hi all, newbie here. I’ve got Terry’s (RIP) Williams 600 D-10 and it’s got what appears to be a very out-of-the-ordinary C6 setup. I can noodle around and get some pretty cool chord voicings, albeit I don’t know how to use them in context. But I am sure I’m missing out on some of his ideas/concepts of where and why he placed some of these changes. Any insight of cool or “out” chord progressions or chord voicings would be greatly appreciated. I don’t know a ton about theory but I know the number system well enough to recognize sharp 4s and flat 7s and cool things like that.

P.S.
If someone has a tab for the basic chord structure of Giant Steps that would be awesome. I’m not familiar with C6 enough to read a real book yet.

Thanks guys, don’t know where I’d be without this community.

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 9:49 pm    

I can look at one of my guitars sometime and double check but I know at least 99% of that is correct to Terry’s setup. I was on his couch when we unboxed that guitar. Congrats. It’s a KILLER. If you ever decide to let it go, shoot me a message.

Btw, if you look at it, Terry’s setup isn’t that unusual. He simply moved things around to make them work better for him and of course there’s some extra goodies there. I basically play the same setup but mine is also moved around for my taste.

Last edited by Tyler Hall on 14 Jun 2022 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 9:51 pm    

Also, if they’re still under it, Terry and myself and a bottle of scotch added adjustable helper springs to that guitar. So you’ve got 1 of 1. 😂

Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 4:53 am    

Thank you Tyler! Yes it's a monster of a guitar, huge sound and so many options. It's got 710s in it now and I think Terry liked the EONs.

Since you've got the same setup; I do realize P5 through P8 are standard just rearranged. But what is P4 and P9 used for? Are there any knees that work well with them? I'm sure I can do a lot with them, I'm just wanting a few ideas of ways to implement them.

Also, I have the extra helper springs in a bag of parts that came with the guitar. Looks like whoever installed the 710s took them off. That's cool to know though!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 6:24 am    

His pedal 4 gives him the same function as his pedal 7 (normally pedal 6) in the bass region. Cool change.

Pedal 9, the G to F lower if combined with his pedal 7, eliminates the 9th note and makes it a root. Most of the time, I have seen this change on a knee lever making it easy to combine with his pedal 7, maybe he two-footed for that. I'm sure there are other uses for it. I have the G to F lower on a lever and also raise string 1 from D to D# for a 7th up high, giving me an F7 on all 10 strings. Not sure about his reason for raising 10 to D on that pedal. Also combining pedals 8&9, would give a rootless G7 on string 3,4,5, but knowing Terry, it has more uses than these.

Bernie Watruba

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 8:27 am     Bethel

Tyler,
About what year did Terry receive the Williams guitar? The last time Terry played in St. Louis he was playing his
BETHEL guitar. It had a great tone.
Bernie

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 9:51 am    

Terry's P9 also gives a low voicing of Dm7(9). I've been playing with something similar - I think of it as the minor version of the normal P5 (Terry's P6).

It's cool but a fairly dense/dark chord if you play all the notes together.

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 6:34 pm    

I’d be afraid to say what year he got it but I believe it would’ve been ‘06-‘07ish. I’m pretty certain it was before we ordered our G2’s in 2008. Terry had neuropathy and feet issues so he always struggled with the feel of the Williams. He wound up getting frustrated and gave up. Personally, I thought it was a great guitar and think most of the issues he had with it were mental. He always raves about the tone of it though. That said, Terry never sounded better to me than on his original blonde Bethel. This was my favorite guitar he had besides Blondie.

John hit the nail on the head about P9. Think of it as a minor version of P6. When I get more time I’ll try to explain some of the changes a little better.

Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 4:12 am    

Thank you guys! This definitely gives me some stuff to work on.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 3:44 pm    

I played Terry's Blond lacquer Bethel guitar in Brisbane Aussie a couple of years back - and the C6th is pretty much as you have there - very similar to my own C6th setup.
Fabulous guitar by the way and I found it very easy to play :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 6:33 pm    

The G to F on string 5 pedal 9 gives a nice FMAJ7 chord strings 6,5,4,3 open or fret 12, probably associated with Maurice more than anyone. It’s usually on a LKV. That’s where I have it.

I wonder why Terry didn’t go ahead and lower 2 a half tone on P4 since it’s usually he inverse of p6.