The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams guitars - necks?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 9:55 am    

Any thoughts on the pros and/or cons re: metal or wood necks on a Williams?

As for a pick-up, I've always liked the True Tone. Any ideas?

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 12:27 pm    

Spacing on the Williams is a little narrower than most, which is a theoretical problem with the no longer available Trutone.

Last edited by Ken Pippus on 14 Jun 2022 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 12:31 pm    

Ken:

I'm under the impression that the keyless Williams (my choice) have conventional spacing.

I had a TruTone on my Zum Encore and I loved it!

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 12:56 pm    

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 12:58 pm    

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 1:04 pm    

On my lacquer guitar I have 705's. On my mica guitar I have Alumitones.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 1:43 pm    

Wood vs. metal. Bill specifically told me that metal neck had "xx cents" cabinet drop and wood necks had virtually zero. I forget the number he said for aluminum but it was low enough that I opted for metal just because it's my cosmetic preference -- I'd say 'sound preference' but I have a feeling that this is something much more in my head than in real physics.

Unfortunately my guitar (SD-12 8 + 8) has WAY more cab drop than I expected. I had an email exchange after a couple of weeks of breaking in and troubleshooting. After being instructed to try to tighten a couple of things that weren't really loose, it ended with him saying that it was 'strange' and pretty much leaving me on my own. I guess I wish I'd gone with wood, if those 'zero drop' numbers are more reliable.
This steel is my #1 gigging guitar so it's definitely a player. But it's not quite the wonder-guitar I was excited about ordering when I decided I deserved a new ride.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 1:59 pm    

Just a note on the pole spacing of pickups: Because the magnetic field on a rod magnet surrounds the end of the magnet (as opposed to being only on the end of the magnet), there is no requirement or technical advantage to having the strings centered directly over the magnet pole pieces. Though it may look strange or less than ideal, it does not affect the performance. Winking

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 1:59 pm    

Bill just told me the same thing: that metal necks don't brace the guitar as well as wood.

I'm thinking of a keyless but, not understanding the science, I wonder if a keyhead would be more stable.

Of course, 12 strings are a chore for any changer, and more so than 10.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 2:12 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Just a note on the pole spacing of pickups: Because the magnetic field on a rod magnet surrounds the end of the magnet (as opposed to being only on the end of the magnet), there is no requirement or technical advantage to having the strings centered directly over the magnet pole pieces. Though it may look strange or less than ideal, it does not affect the performance. ;-)

I can confirm this on my Williams. I was concerned enough to post a query about exactly this last year. But no problems at all going from a blade to pole pieces even thought they are visibly out of alignment.

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 2:55 pm     Pickups for Williams Guitars

Greetings Roger. I've owned several Williams guitars; I'm lucky to live right here in Minneapolis, where Bill lives and builds, and his service is excellent.
While it only represents my opinion (and this is all SO subjective), I've liked the sound of TrueTones best. Overall, whether on guitar or PSG, I tend to prefer single coil sound over humbuckers. I didn't like the hum that popped up in some places though, so Bill put in an Alumitone, and to me it was a VERY VERY close second. Pro level player Joe Savage (also here in Minneapolis) has used an Alumitone in his Williams for years as well. I can't speak for him, but I know he's use it for a long time. I personally did not care for the BL 705's that I tried on both necks, but Bill tells me they're one of the most-ordered choices. I recently bought a new S-10 from Bill (excellent guitar, very satisfied) with a Telenoics pickup; I honestly don't care for the pickup and wish I'd ordered an Alumitone, but that's just me. Both my Williams D-10 and my S-10 have wood necks; I like 'em. Good luck, you can't go wrong with Bill and Tim's guitars.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 2:58 pm    

Thanks, John.

I'm speaking with Bill tomorrow and I have a list of questions.

I appreciate your input about pickups.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 3:44 pm    

Throwing in “theoretical” was intentional. I can’t hear a balance problem, and I think the TTs sound great.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 7:44 pm    

I've been using an s12 wood neck keyless Williams recently with a telonics adjustable pickup. Amp eq got me where I wanted with it after years of 705's on 10 strings, and I wouldn't want a non-adjustable pickup with the extended string gauge/range/response of a 12 string. Cabinet drop is about the same as the negligible drop on the better 10 string guitars I've used- emmons, mullen, an old Zum- which speaks positively to the Williams, as I'm asking more of it with the 11/12 string changes. However, as mentioned, cab drop is per guitar, not brand.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2022 11:53 am    

I've owned 3 Williams(D10 and 2 D12's) with a fourth due to be completed soon(wide body S12). All have had wood necks and a wound 6th on the E9. Cabinet drop with AB pedals has been consistently 1.5-2 cents on all guitars and 1 cent with A pedal only. The D12's and the new forthcomimg S12 are keyless. The keyless system is super easy to use and quick to change string(s). I have pitch return comps on all strings with both a raise and a lower so hysteresis is not a issue. George L 12-1's sound wonderful on E9. That's been my experience. Hope it helps!