The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green
Thomas Engleman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 5:40 pm    

If you watch a night of E9th with Lloyd Green and Tommy White....anyone know what Lloyd Green's Copedent on that single 10 string?
In 2020 I traded Jimmie Hudson an Emmon's 1970s starter 10 string, typical 3 on the floor and 1 knee...E to Eb.
With the trade I included a Carter Starter, typical 3 on the floor and 4 knees. The Emmons had a hard case the Carter had a cardboard box.
In exchange Jimmie built me a single 8 string, with a great hard case.
The Copedent I asked Mr. Hudson to put on the Hudson 8 string gave me an e9Th and a C6th
4 Knees and 4 Floor pedals. I list the Copedent next time.

Keep in touch...I'm an 80 year old with great memories of playing a 2 pedal in the late 50s and into the mid 60s.

https://youtu.be/1ZSepQiogMc
One of my Capos being test driven

Take me as I am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj1FfD_Rvr8

Tom

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 5:06 am    

This is the E9 Copedent Lloyd has used since 1968 and still currently uses it.
https://b0b.com/wp/copedents/lloyd-greens-copedent/
Ricky

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 4:03 am     Mistake??

Ricky: It looks like there is a mistake in b0b's post about Lloyd's set-up. Of course he has the Emmons floor pedals, but the F knee lever, shouldn't that be moving left to raise the E's to F? It would be kinda' hard to use A & F together the way it's posted. Thanks, Tommy.....

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 4:58 am    

Lloyd does have his L-R lever raising his E's. That subject was discussed recently -

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=380307&highlight=

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 5:10 am    

Lloyd's setup has been verified multiple times. Read this thread, which includes comments from Lloyd - https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/009217.html

Yes, it would be hard for me to do it that way, I've tried. But I'm not Lloyd. And nobody else is either.

BTW - moving this to Pedal Steel from Wanted to Buy - I don't see a request to buy anything here.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 6:26 am    

JayDee has that setup, as well.
It's not too difficult to rock off your A pedal and grab that LL to lower your E's, but rocking of your B pedal and hitting that LR to raise them is a tough move to make.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 6:43 am    

Yeah, I didn't mean nobody else besides Lloyd uses that reversed E-raise/lower setup. And there are yet others on the forum that have stated they also use it.

And Jimmy Day's CBA setup with E=>F on LKL, which is a reversed ankle-twister. Obviously didn't hurt his playing any either. But it killed my ankle when I tried it. I tried most every permutation when I was experimenting with an easy to set up BMI S10, fairly early on. Experimentation is the only real way I see to get a concrete sense of what works and what doesn't.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 1:59 pm    

Quote:
Ricky: It looks like there is a mistake in b0b's post about Lloyd's set-up.

There is NO MISTAKE with Lloyd's set up b0b posted.
Thanks Dave and Kenny for posting huge talk about this set up and how and why and what....but besides all that; when Lloyd came up with the idea of raising the E's a half tone on a knee lever; in 1967 on his Fingertip(that I restored and is in the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville; he had only 3 knee levers on it and had Shot "ADD a Knee lever to raise both E's to F; and the LEFT knee going Right was the only position without a current knee lever; so that's where they put it and Lloyd has played that set up exactly like b0b posted from 1967 to 2022.
Ricky

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 2:14 pm    

I love Lloyd's setup. I think he said at one point that he had figured out "mathematically" how to get everything he needed and never had to change.

I also don't lower my high root for stability and simplicity. Whenever I wish I had it, I think of Lloyd and it inspires me to find a cool way to get what I want.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 4:23 am    

A great story about Lloyd and the "F" lever. After he had it put on he was doing one of the first sessions with it installed. He was noodling around with it and Tammy Wynette's producer Billy Sherrill heard it and loved it and asked Lloyd to play an intro based on a few notes but using that lever. The song was DIVORCE and you can see Lloyd's amazing musical skills in the opening rift that he played.

He also told me that the reason he doesn't drop the fourth string is that there isn't anything that he hears musically that he can't play with the setup that he has. Truly amazing.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 1:34 pm    

I know we all adore BE and he's so closely associated to E9th and took it into virtually EVERY musical style of music, but to me Lloyd is the quintessential and always most appropriate and always "musicality-first" E9th player.
So much that I theorize that IF Jerry Byrd had gone pedaled E9th, to stay in Nashville, he would have played very close to how Lloyd (whom admired JB very much) did.

I think his lifetime record of musicality has demonstrated a basic setup is all we'd ever need.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Reed Ohrbom

Hemet, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 3:24 pm    

Very interesting and informative thread; great for beginners, like me; Thanks

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 6:01 am    

Ant it Amazing what Lloyd can do with such A simple set up...A true Steel Guitar Master for sure...Love the Man.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 7:23 pm    

Ricky-

Have you and Lloyd talked about the “Little Darlin” sessions with Paycheck in the mid 1960’s. It is some of the best Country Music ever made.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 10:18 am    

Quote:
Have you and Lloyd talked about the “Little Darlin” sessions with Paycheck in the mid 1960’s.

Yes; we certainly have, back when I first met him(late 90's my first time to play Grand ole opry); he invited me to his house: and I had many many questions about his little Darlin Sessions and all that was involved; that they came up with so much music with Aubrey M running things...ha..LOL..but Lloyd was usually the band/recording leader as he was doing 3 sessions a day.
Ricky