The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Player Jeff Newman (Also the greatest instructor)
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 6:19 pm    

For those Forumites who have helped in the preservation of Jeff Newman's Course Materials, Jim Reynolds and I are very thankful. It appears that there are only a few items remaining to complete our project. If anyone has what we still need, please loan these to us. We promise to return them promptly. Whatever you can send, do alert Jim when you send them. His email is (buzzbetty@hotmail.com) and his address is 106 Union St., Franklin, PA 16323.

1. The last page of "Peace in the Valley” from the course, Music To Steel By. In fact if we could borrow all the printed tablature of this course from someone with pristine copies, it would be preferable, since many of the pages of the course we scanned have faded over the years.

2. A complete and pristine copy of all the tablature to Music To Get C6th By. Although this course has been scanned, over the years, the pages have faded. Thus, re-scanning a pristine copy is preferred.

3. Page 4 of the tablature from the Steelin' Feelin' course of the tune "Nobody Wins."

4. “Jeff Newman” – A listening CD album – Americana 28C9010

Hey, that's it. If anyone would like to see the complete "Body of Work" by Jeff, email me and I'll send it to you.
...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 13 Jun 2022 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 3:09 am     Jeff Newman

Very interesting. Mr Jeff's work deserves to be known and archived for sure.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 8:47 am    

Great to know how far this has come. Jeff's work will forever be an asset to steel players and beginners. Wonderful teacher and professional player.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 10:41 am     Sales Inquiries

I've received many inquiries from Forumites asking if they can purchase various of Jeff's courses. Jim and I will never sell these. Our goal is to preserve them in the event that Jeff's estate would sell them to us. Following that, our desire is to post them all on my website as free downloads, just as I've done with a few papers I've written and I'll soon be adding to a couple of entries there already: http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/chord_construction.php. ...Tom

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 12:24 pm     Jeff's material

Tom: Thanks so much for your efforts, they are very much appreciated.

Are there any ongoing discussions/efforts to purchase the rights to Jeff's material from his estate?

Thanks

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 1:41 pm    

Thanks for your effort Tom, Jeff’s materials need to be preserved and be able to get in the hands of steel players. I have slowly bought up what I could find as they have become available but would love to be able to fill in the gaps!

What you guys are doing is much appreciated!

Bill Erchul

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 4:07 pm     Music To Steel By

I'm mailing my copy of Music To Steel By to Jim to scan and hopefully make available to others. Tom's post and mission reminded me that I was at Jeff's intense 3-day Top Gun training 25 years ago this week. Such worthwhile info to practice & absorb. I hope many others will be able to learn from Jeff's instructional materials given Tom and Jim's efforts. Thanks, guys.