The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  excel from the 80s tuning problem
Harrison Dole

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 10:14 am    

i recently acquired an excel d-10 from the 80s and there is a problem with the b/2 pedal. on the lower change, 6th string, it tunes from both ends. meaning if i tune it open with the pegs to G# when i step on the pedal to raise it to A and tune it at the changer it tunes the whole string so now the open G# is an A.

does anyone have any idea why it would be tuning the string and the stop from both ends? the 3rd string is no problem.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 5:56 pm    

I don't understand what you're saying. Is it a regular all-pull guitar?

Nearly all the time, things like this are because something is overturned.

if you have the lower on string 6 to F#, that can cause a problem - depending on the mechanism.

Here's what I'd check:

-be sure that when no pedals or levers are engaged, there is some slack at the nylon tuners. If there is binding, then you can never tune the open string.
-be sure that everything is lubed sufficiently. Levers or pedals or cross shafts or changer fingers that are dry might not return all the way (which makes me think of return springs - they need to be tight enough to hold the lower finger back when the string is neutral AND raised)
-Make sure that all the pulls stop firmly at their stops. If you never hit the stop, then it's impossible to tune - you're floating.

If everything looks OK, back off all the tuners on the sixth string and retune the open string, then retune the nylon tuners.

Maybe you can post a photo of you guitar's guts?

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 6:04 pm    

I read your post again. Sound like the nylon tuner raises the pitch to an A.

It's gotta be overturned. With the pedals unengaged, if you tighten the nylon and it raises the string, it means there's not enough slack to start with.

So the first point above would be occurring.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 7:08 pm    

If the guitar has an All Pull Changer.
Check the Bell Crank that pulls the 6th string. From your description of problem, The pull rod needs more travel. To obtain more travel, Take a picture or make a drawing of the Bell Crank and mark the hole the pull rod is in. The pull rod needs to be moved farther from cross rod, 1 hole at a time in the Bell Crank, Then try the pull, If not enough, Then move another hole from the cross rod.

A picture of the B pedal cross rod and Bell Crank would help a lot for forum members to see.

Good Luck on this project. When your steel is happy, You will be Happy Steelin.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 2:44 am    

Read this to get a better understanding of overtuning:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460

~Lee

Harrison Dole

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 1:04 pm    

thanks for your help all. i tried a few things and was unable to right it. found a few other problems with the steel. decided to send it back and will go back on the hunt for a new piece.

again, really appreciate it. although i didn't fix it, i feel i learned a few things.