The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnnie Barber
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2022 7:34 pm    

Nashville drummer and musician "Johnnie Barber" passed away Thursday May 5th 2022, following a lengthy illness. Loved by everyone, he was known as country music's VERY BEST shuffle drummer. For many years Johnnie Barber played in probably every nightclub and honky tonk on Nashville's historic lower broadway strip. Generations ago he played drums in Johnny Paycheck's road band, along with many of the other big names like George Jones and the Hag. I was fortunate enough to get to work with him myself several times in Nashville. Johnnie Barber, you'll be missed. R.I.P. my friend.

Last edited by Nick Reed on 5 May 2022 7:44 pm; edited 4 times in total

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 5 May 2022 7:40 pm    

Oh no! Johnny was a country shuffle maestro ! He was also a real gentleman, quite and reserved. RIP ol’ pal.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 5 May 2022 7:59 pm    

Loved playing, and hanging out, with Johnnie. Hard to imagine this city without him. RIP

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 4:40 am     As good as they come...

What a great, wonderful guy! A steel player's best friend...many wonderful, fun memories. Certainly ended up in all the right places with a lot of the right people...rightfully deserved. Shuffle right on up to that good place awaiting you. Miss you , buddy. Respectfully submitted, RK Sad

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 1:22 pm    

Johnnie Barber. This is a loss to the community. I echo everybody's words. Johnnie was everywhere: artists gigs, Printers Alley, working Opry spots, clubs and casuals around town. In later years, one of the most reassuring sights was to see Johnnie Barber working and hanging on Broadstreet, part of a group of old school pickers holding down the fort in a changing world.

Johnny Paycheck “New York Town” 1980 is an example of his show drumming and his nightclub work will be remembered by everyone who ever saw him or worked with him. Johnnie Barber played his drums to the room.

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 7:10 am    

RIP. We had some great times and made alot of memories. This one time, Merle asked him to use brushes on this Dole Pineapple cardboard box. Johnny always played an immaculate old champagne sparkle kit. He wasn't real happy about being crouched over the box so I kept telling him I'd metalflake it to cheer him up.
You can hear that box on the studio recording of 'Runaway Mama' fyi-the distorted mandolin was plugged in a 9V battery powered Smokey pocket amp that was tossed (isolated) in a plastic waste bin with a 57.