The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Kelly Joe Phelps
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 7:13 pm    

From Steve Dawson on Facebook:
·
Hello friends and fans of Kelly Joe. Steve Dawson here as the admin for this page. At the request of Kelly Joe’s family, I am passing along the heartbreakingly tragic news of Kelly Joe Phelps’ passing on May 31, 2022, quietly at home in Iowa.
Like many of you who were anxious to hear if he’d be playing music again, I too wondered if the day would come when I’d get a call from him and in his rascally way tell me he wanted to make another record. I cherish the time I did have with him both on stage and in the studio, working on the Slingshot, Tunesmith, and Brother Sinner albums. I was/am a huge fan of his playing and he influenced me greatly.
Getting called to back him up and then to produce albums for him was definitely a highlight of my life. He was not only a creative and original songwriter, he was one of the deepest and most soulful improvisers I’ve ever seen or heard. His ideas flowed out of him so fluently it was mid-boggling. He was so naturally gifted - one night we were at a party after a show and there was an upright bass in the corner. He picked it up, after not having touched that instrument in over 20 years and played it like he’d been playing it every day since then. Then he put it down and laughed about his diminished skills.
He was a complicated guy, for sure, and had his demons. The more people wanted him to do something like he used to (lap style guitar comes to mind), the more he wanted to drop it and do something else. I saw him go from a lap guitar-wielding bluesman to a hardcore troubadour to an Avant-garde improviser to a pretty monstrous flatpicker, banjo frailer, and finally finding some peace and inspiration on bottleneck slide guitar. It was always a wild ride and he never took the easy path.
He’d drop out of my life for months or years on end and then just magically appear again and we would go back to being brothers in arms. I also know of many people the world over who he touched deeply with his soulful music, incredible lyrics and spectacular guitar playing.
If you are one of those people and have photos or stories to share, please do so here on this post. I will not be answering private messages sent to the page, and the family would appreciate their privacy being respected at this time. But let’s all remember the incredible nights and days of music, laughs, ups and downs and the one of a kind genius of Kelly Joe Phelps. I’m sharing some pictures here from recording sessions for Tunesmith Retrofit and Brother Sinner. I don’t have as many as I’d like because we were usually hard at work and would forget to snap photos along the way, but here’s a few I dug up today.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 7:23 pm    

The guy was brilliant and quirky. A complete artist in every way, exceptional at everything he did. I discovered his music very early on with a blind purchase of his first album and then Roll Away The Stone. I was mesmerized by him. When Shine Eyed Mr. Zen came out, I completely fell in love with it. I have no doubt that I would not be the musician I am today without his influence.

He was a complicated guy and I get the feeling his personal life was a struggle. Music was a perfect vehicle for his expression and I’m so thankful for it.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 7:33 pm    

Thanks for letting us know, Andy. His lap style playing in open D was incredibly influential for so many slide guitarists. In 1996 he stepped away from music. Many people thought he was done.

RIP to an amazing talent.