The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Minor 2-5-1 progression ,and harmonic minor scale for E9th
Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 12:30 pm    

I would like to hear your thoughts and approaches to the chord changes Am7(b5)to D7(b9)to Gm,I only have a E9th.
I am curious about how others think of their scale pockets for these types of changes especially on the E9th .I tend to learn the scale in its 5 or 6 ways across the neck,then diagonal patterns along the neck,then out line the chord tones where they fall with these patterns.i am learning old jazz standards on my E9th.
thankyou.
sam.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 1:39 pm    

The whole scale, all 3 chords, and some nice bending melody notes, are at fret 1.
Also fret 6 is nice, especially if you can lower the G to F# ("split" on strings 5 and 10), so you don't have to go to fret 5 for the D7.
I like fret 10, where the KL that lowers the 7th string a half step gives you the -5 in the half dim chord.

That half step lower on 7 makes fret 4 a nice spot for those notes too, and if you don't have that pull you can raise the 8th string instead. You can bend down to the D from E flat there, or bend up from C if you have a whole step raise on a "zero pedal".

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 2:36 pm    

I'm with Earnest, and I don't even drop my 7th. 1st fret works for all three of those, although I find the BC pedal my least favorite of the three common minor positions, although I use it often in transition. I'd probably, depending on my mood, start on 1 with the D# lever, hit 3BC before the D7, release C and engage the D# lever early in the D, move up to 5AB (hit the 1st string raise for the 7 and the D# lever or the 2nd string for the b5), and to 6A for the G minor.

Ian Kerr

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 3:51 pm    

Here's an example using what has been mentioned on fret 1 or 13.I'm really using the F7 position and common tones.I'm picking strings 5,6 and 9.[C,A,Eb]That could be Am7b5. Pick again.[C,A,Eb]. That could be D7b9[C,A,Eb].Then resolve to Gm [Bb] with pedals A , B AND the lever to lower the 9th string.So [C,A,Eb] changes to [D,Bb,D].
If you have the G# to F# lower on string 6,you could try much the same thing on fret 8, A& B down, lever to lower 6 a whole tone in, pick 4,5,6 and resolve to fret 6 with the A pedal.

Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 5:51 pm     harmonic minor

hey guys thanks ,got any videos or audio bits .
sam.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 7:24 pm    

I'll try to get one shot before my gig this Saturday.
Have you got a song in mind with that cadence? That way I can try to phrase it the way you're thinking of

Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 11:50 pm     minor 2-5-1in E9th

hey Lane,
anything minor 2=5=1,as long as it half diminished to dom 7(b9) .to a minor tonic.It wont matter the feel or the key,any inspiration would be great. I use the 7th mode of the harmonic minor over full dimished chords as well.
thanks ,
sam..

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 4:59 pm    

This might be useful for some. Thanks Doug and Lane. It would be a problem without splits and a vertical.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 7:23 pm    

I'll try these out tomorrow!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 9:15 am    

8,7,6,5 with B & C pedals and your Es lowered will give you the m7b5 - the note on the 8th string is the root so as to identify which m7b5 it is (rather than it being a minor chord with a 6th in the bass). 8th = Root, 7th = b3, 6th = b5, 5 = b7. Voila - a half-diminished.

I use my pedal 4, too, that lowers 6 and 9 a half-step. The lowered 9th string is the root.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:35 pm    

Quote:
B & C pedals and your Es lowered will give you the m7b5 - the note on the 8th string is the root

Heya Sam
What Roger described is my 'go to'. I find it intuitive to use this voicing because the root note sits one fret higher than the open root positions. Bm7b5 is fret 8, Am7b5 is at fret 6 etc.
This way, you can move everything up 3 frets to get the corresponding altered V7 chord ( this trick works with any m7b5 voicing ) but down three frets works really well too, as it is the basic dom7 w/ B pedal and Es lowered. Lots of lines in here by just moving between these positions....

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 1:51 am    

Exactly, Andrew! The three-fret relationship.

It's good to grasp the formula. An Am7b5 sounds exactly like a C minor with a 6th on the bass note. The root, as always, is key.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 8:42 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Exactly, Andrew! The three-fret relationship.

It's good to grasp the formula. An Am7b5 sounds exactly like a C minor with a 6th on the bass note. The root, as always, is key.

My 4-5-1 mentality wraps around 4m-5-1m much more easily than 2m7b5-5-1m. I let the bass player handle the 2.

For single note playing, I think of ii7b5-V7b9 as the V7, alternating the sus4 and b9 in and out. I can make a joyful mess of things with that.

Pockets for harmonic minor scale notes are in two fret areas around the 1 and 5 Major chord positions, and 3-fret areas around the 4 Major chord. The “bad” notes would be the major 3rd (B) and b9 (Ab) of the key note (G).

Here is a no-pedals visual representation of what I’m failing to explain verbally.